FlyingDiver

Well Known Member
I installed the prop and set the blade pitch. The KAI said to torque to spec, so I did (220-240 in-lb). Then I set up the spinner and match drilled. Now I need to take it all off to install nutplates in the spinner supports. I can't get the bloody prop hub loose from the flange. See the pics.

How do I get this off without damaging anything? I don't think using a pry-bar is an approved method. Help!

Attachments

• IMG_0133.jpeg
    IMG_0133.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0134.jpeg
    IMG_0134.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 81
I installed the prop and set the blade pitch. The KAI said to torque to spec, so I did (220-240 in-lb). Then I set up the spinner and match drilled. Now I need to take it all off to install nutplates in the spinner supports. I can't get the bloody prop hub loose from the flange. See the pics.

How do I get this off without damaging anything? I don't think using a pry-bar is an approved method. Help!
You might consider installing at least 3 of the prop to hub bolts, no where near tight, just enough to catch prop from tumbling off hub. Then wiggle the assembly by sequentially pulling on each blade (with hands) near the hub (no more than 12" from hub). Possibly have a helper... This will allow the hub to move forward off the crankshaft hub alignment dowel pins which are now inside the prop hub.
I think that will work for you...

It won't wiggle. Seriously, there is absolutely no play in it at all. I've been pulling on the blade roots with my foot on the nose wheel and get nothing.

I'll put some sort of bolts in there, maybe undersized (AN5) to make sure it doesn't fall off. But I don't think it's possible to get any movement just by hand pulling.

It won't wiggle. Seriously, there is absolutely no play in it at all. I've been pulling on the blade roots with my foot on the nose wheel and get nothing.

I'll put some sort of bolts in there, maybe undersized (AN5) to make sure it doesn't fall off. But I don't think it's possible to get any movement just by hand pulling.
Ok - CAREFULLY tap on the aft side of the prop blades with a dead blow hammer - wrap prop blade with a towel or protect it with a piece of dense rubber like a hockey puck

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 17-44-37 3 lb. Neon Orange Dead Blow Hammer.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 17-44-37 3 lb. Neon Orange Dead Blow Hammer.png
    213.7 KB · Views: 5
Ok - CAREFULLY tap on the aft side of the prop blades with a dead blow hammer - wrap prop blade with a towel or protect it with a piece of dense rubber like a hockey puck
That did it. Wrapped a towel around the prop base and used a rubber mallet. Tap a few times, go to next blade, repeat.