gtmule

Well Known Member
All,

As part of my panel upgrade, I'm removing the original builder's firewall insulation and, most importantly, glue. Anybody have any ideas on this? It appears to be 3M or similar spray adhesive, and goof off (that I happened to have) had absolutely no affect. WD-40, goo-gone, kerosene, Acetone, MEK, etc are all possibilities, but I was looking for some specific experience.

Thanks,
Chuck

Removall SV-35 PMA is a paint stripper I've used that will remove adhesives nicely. Its not nasty stuff and wont cause corrosion/embrittlement. Wicks used to carry it by the gallon, and it appears they no longer do so.

Removall SV-35 PMA is a paint stripper I've used that will remove adhesives nicely. Its not nasty stuff and wont cause corrosion/embrittlement. Wicks used to carry it by the gallon, and it appears they no longer do so.

Stripper is what I was thinking of. Anyone tried the Stewarts Ekostrip?

This is the passenger side of the firewall correct???

May I suggest you make sure to have lots of fresh air moving around in there while you are tucked under the panel fussing with solvents in such a tight space.

A supplied air respirator would be wonderful.

If you end up using a petroleum based solvent, DO NOT use O2 for breathing, should you happen to have the plane rigged with O2.

This is the passenger side of the firewall correct???

May I suggest you make sure to have lots of fresh air moving around in there while you are tucked under the panel fussing with solvents in such a tight space.

A supplied air respirator would be wonderful.

If you end up using a petroleum based solvent, DO NOT use O2 for breathing, should you happen to have the plane rigged with O2.

Yes, that was my reason for asking about ekostrip :)

This stuff works well on old, cured glues and even smells acceptable being citrus based -

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/cs/adhesivezremovers/3madhesremov.php

21874580i_01.jpg

Just a followup. Goof off (the real stuff, not their "degreaser" stuff that I accidentally bought) is going the trick. I think it's mostly acetone or alcohol or something, with maybe some citrus oil or something in it. I never tried straight acetone, although denatured alcohol didn't make a dent. Big box fan on high sitting in the seat blowing under the panel clears the fumes out adequately.