ccsmith51

Well Known Member
I want to remove my canopy to get better access to the baggage area to do some maintenance. Can I lift it off the plane myself from one side or the other, or do I need some assistance? No idea how heavy it is...

I would find someone to be safe.

When I removed mine off my 7A, I had a help. Its not that is heavy just very awkward. Do I think I could have done it myself, yes in a pinch but I would rather find someone to help. I would hate to damage it. Just have some one on the other side so he or she can keep a hold of it until you take the weight on your side and then carry to a safe place. Just my thoughts.

As Charles stated it is safer and easier with a helping hand. On The A-Model it is probably more difficult to remove the canopy because it?s sitting higher. On my RV-7 I have windows in the rails which can easily be opened for that purpose. After removing the canopy many times already, I am meanwhile confident doing it alone. Go slow and before you lift it off prepare a place where it can sit, padded and out of winds.

It would be a job alone. Getting it back on would be worst. Hop over to ITEC at X35 and we can help, as well as give you access to tools if/as needed. Lots of hangar space.

off is ok, going on i put a 2x4 across the cockpit rails to rest it on coming down. be safe the first time though. :)
IMG_1759.jpg

Removing slider canopy

Placing and removing a slider canopy is a snap with two people taking less than a minute...much longer, with some anxiety, if attempted alone. In my experience, getting some help for the few minutes needed is definitely worthwhile.

Remove and replace 6A canopy

It's easy and I've done it many times on my 6A-by myself.