crabandy

Well Known Member
I noticed a little oil on my #4 intake tube and traced it to where the oil return AN fitting screws into the head. I'm having a little trouble removing it so I can put some sealer on the threads/replace the fitting. I removed the intake tube and primer port plug to try to get better access but no luck. Regular open end bottoms on the head and My cheaper 90 open end isn't strong enough. Not enough room to get a wrench on underneath until the fitting gets turn 1/4.
F0265DBA-9F22-4398-BF1B-1FA2613D90DD-4839-000002A4100E0193_zps6d999a98.jpg

4062779E-3011-496A-9506-CB3B20E066D9-4839-000002A40AAE46B7_zps19a39463.jpg

Any good ideas on tools to buy/make to get the AN fitting off?
Thanks,
Andy

Last edited:
Andy, two suggestions. Hard to tell from the picture, but if there is clearance beneath the fitting, could you move the oil line aside and use a thin wall deep socket on the fitting? Another option might be to use a flare nut wrench. Good luck.

Steve

Die grinder cut off wheel, cut the angle portion off, then use a square drive socket 8 point

Steve, no clearance from the bottom and must be a 90 from the top.

Bret, that is my plan B! Tomorrow I was going to try an adjustable wench/vise grips on the flare side along with the 90 open end. Well see what happens.

Bret's works. Vise grips really tight will usually crack them loose Too. The male flare will probably hit the adjacent cylinder fins though. That means you'll have to dremel a 1/4 inch or so off a fin or two.

Opps, didn't realize that it was a 45 degree fitting. Cutting off with a dremel is probably best way to proceed.

Steve

Bret's works. Vise grips really tight will usually crack them loose Too. The male flare will probably hit the adjacent cylinder fins though. That means you'll have to dremel a 1/4 inch or so off a fin or two.

That fitting went in there without dremeling the fins, it should come out the same way. I know I can remove that same fitting on my engine without issue.

They go n when the cylinder is off. Not all casting will hit the fins, but a lot of them will.

Adjustable wrench on the flare side along with the open end 90 was the hot ticket, came out without a fight. Glad I didn't have to resort to the die grinder and all the metal shavings and an open oil port.

4EF5EE81-C691-4EB6-8F66-631F5A83AE7B-4839-000002EEAC06EAEC_zps848fae17.jpg

Adjustable wrench on the flare side along with the open end 90 was the hot ticket, came out without a fight. Glad I didn't have to resort to the die grinder and all the metal shavings and an open oil port.

4EF5EE81-C691-4EB6-8F66-631F5A83AE7B-4839-000002EEAC06EAEC_zps848fae17.jpg

Looks like this will work fine as long as you don't plan on using that fitting again.

I am sure your local shop would show you the proper wrench they use.

If I know I am not going to re-use the fitting, I have found a large Phillips head screwdriver fits into the round opening on the flare end, and is a very effective handle. But I expect that the fittings ends up oval - so have a new one handy.

With the shoulders of the fitting already rounded I was definitely trashing the fitting, not worth the headache of working with it down the road. I picked up a new one on my way to work.
Paul, why didn't I think of that! I'm going to stash the screwdriver idea into my little bag of tricks!
Thanks,
Andy