nekit

I'm in the process of rebuilding a O-320 D2B for a RV-9 with fixed pitch prop. It's going to be using the Efii Electronic fuel injection and crank trigger ignition. I won't be using the stock fuel pump, vacuum pump, a prop governor, or either of the stock mag drives.

While looking at the accessory case it would seem to me that I could remove the right hand mag gear drive and block off the oil passage at the plate where that drive mounts? The left side drives the cam, so it will obviously stay in place. With my setup of not needing the mag drives can anyone think of a reason to have the extra right hand one spinning around in there? Maybe I'm missing something obvious, that's why I figured I'd ask.
Thanks

Call Robert at EFII and ask him. He is always very helpful. I was out there three weeks ago and asked him the same question but for a IO-540. He knows his stuff!

gear train

This is a good question for an engine builder - but, if you don't have a prop governor and your oil pump is driven off the crank shaft (some are not). Then you can probably do this.
If there is an opportunity to go to a constant speed prop in the future, you might want to maintain the governor drive.

Robert