pierre smith

Well Known Member
Hi guys/gals,
We were inspected last Friday and turned down because of paperwork! My partner and I did a home-grown "overhaul" of our 0-360 so we couldn't get an A@P to sign it off and we're not qualified to (no AP rating). However, removing the engine data plate made it an experimental engine and the problem's solved (I think).
What kind of data plate does Aerosport or ECI have on their engines? Since they're not 'certified' engines, do they have something like we do now...."Smith/Morgan 0-360" or similar? How are rotary engines and the Eggies out there signed off?
Regards,
Pierre

any day now....WHOOOPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE. RV6A QB, 180HP, Catto 3Blade

Data plate

I think your inspector was in error not to approve your airworthiness.
I have a Lycoming engine, but because of modifications it does not meet its type spec.
A log book entry stating this was made and the engine data plate remains on the engine.
The engine data plate cannot be removed from the engine per FARs...45 something or other. (45.13 (b) )http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulator...1C4057A09EF9BA25852566AB006BDA69?OpenDocument
My inspection was done by a FSDO maintenance supervisor who will be retiring and needs to show currency.
My test period was also 25 hours because my engine, even though it did not meet type spec was a "certified engine".

I would make a call to your local FSDO for clarification.

BTW, a friend of mine did the same as you and his DAR made him fly 40 hrs in flight testing because he overhauled his engine. Go figure.

Last edited:
Every FAA office might have different Opinions

If we overhaul an engine that will be used for experimental and it is changed from it's type certificate data sheet the we are instructed by our FAA inspector to remove the data plate and make a log entry that the engine has been modified from it's original type design and is for experimental use only. If the engine has been overhauled by a non A&P or some other certified entity it would fall into the category of no longer meeting it's original type design. If it were in our area, with our inspector, the data plate would come off, the engine would be considered experimental and you would get the 40 hour fly off. Of course a different inspector from the same office might view it differently! :)
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts
are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided
responsibly and at you own risk."

I hope you can remove the data plate because I removed the one on my Aerosport over a year ago due to a chafing issue on the bottom edge of the plate that overhung slightly. I can't see how it would be required on an experimental engine when subes and rotaries don't have them.

Tobin

In answer to your question about how ECI engines are data plated...ECI will provide a data plate for you, if you request it. They put you as the manufacturer and provide a serial number as well as the timing information and a couple of other data points. If you don't elect to get the data plate, then the engine just does without or you can make your own. In any case, it is treated as an experimental engine.

I suggested in another post that it might be acceptable to leave the dataplate on (for engine information for future mechanics/owners) and use a stamp to append the engine designation with an "X" or "EXP". In other words:

O-320-A2B-X
O-360-A1A-X
IO-360-A1B6-X

Also in the engine log note that the engine no longer meet's it's original TCDS. The way Lycon does it works, but simply saying O-320-EXP doesn't mean anything to anyone that wants to know the particular configuration of that engine. (Horizontal sump/vertical sump. Counterweighted crank etc.)

Saving Plate

I overhauled my engine and the DAR insisted that the plate be removed. After completing the paper work, he told me that I should keep the plate in a safe place - suggesting that the best place would be back on the engine.