rbibb

Well Known Member
Anybody ever had a Lycoming Dip Stick housing freeze? I as trying to remove one from My O-320E2D and it wont budge. I needed to remove the rear baffle for modifications for a new oil cooler and it simply will not turn. I'm afraid it is going to break if I apply more torque.

If no one has any great odead I an going to run the engine a little bit to see if the heat helps.

Richard

RV-4

Please take no offense.
Can you confirm that there is no safety wire attached at the base of the tube to keep you from turning it? It can easily be overlooked.

Well I knew I should have mentioned that I did indeed remove the safety wire but no offense taken.

I'm vain enough that if I had, in fact, forgotten to remove the safety wire I would never admit it and somehow stumble onto a miracle cure to the ailment. But alas, no miracles and no need to shield a delicate ego bruised by my own stupidity.

The D*** thing just is stuck so hard that is was starting to twist as I applied a wrench to it. Never happened before and I've had it off a half dozen times at least.

Maybe it is just one of those things that will cure itself the next time I get to the hanger. Somehow I doubt it.

GET SOME OF THIS..... http://www.kanolabs.com/yahoo/ It is a "must have" in the shop. The part that you are dealing with is PLASTIC, but it should still work. The flat rubber gasket can lock on to the case and the plastic tube like glue. Spray this stuff and give it a chance.

Last edited:
I'll give it a try

I'll try it on your recommendation - you never know when you will need something like this - by the way, they have a two for the price of one on right now. And free shipping. Thanks for the lead.:cool:

Hmmmmm.......

I would think that dry ice would make the plastic/nylon (whatever it is) tube very brittle. Not sure I'd try that one.