Stephen Lindberg

Well Known Member
I am looking to buy an airplane with decals all over it...you know, the checker boards and swooshes stuck on the paint in lieu of actually painting them on. I would like to remove much of it if I buy the airplane. The underlying paint is automotive, a pearlescent "Cadillac" color, possibly clear coated, I couldn't be sure. I am thinking that lacquer thinner probably would not hurt this paint and might remove the adhesive. Would want to first check on an out of the way place. Does anyone have any experience removing these types of adhesive decals? Would I be better off just leaving them alone? Once you start, you know, you have to keep going. Thanks, Steve

Generally these can be removed with a light application of a heat gun. But you should find out who manufactured them and get their recommendations.

Removing Decals

Mel said:
Generally these can be removed with a light application of a heat gun. But you should find out who manufactured them and get their recommendations.
A hair dryer works well too :rolleyes: Rosie

How long have the decals been on the aircraft? Has the aircraft spent much time outside?

I'm wondering if the paint under the decals may not have faded as much as the rest of the paint. If so, you might be able to see where the decals where, even when they are gone.

I'd use a hair dryer before a heat gun. One slip with the heat gun and you'd have a mess (scorched paint) on your hands.

One thing I've found to be effective at removing vinyl graphics and the like is one of the citrus oil based cleaners. Get one with a high concentration of citrus oil and it'll do a great job of dissolving the adhesive.

the eraser

3m makes a rubber wheel for those decals that dont easily come off ,absolutely does not harm the paint. works perfect works with electric drill to remove stripes ..15.00 IIRC.

the cadillac dealer i worked for used these.

Last edited:
Order the eraser

You can order the "eraser" from Eastwood. If you're not already familiar with them, you should check them out. Lots of tools and supplies aimed mainly at auto restoration, lots of them handy for aircraft building as well. http://www.eastwoodco.com/ No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

PS Be careful with that orange based cleaner - many (most?) are not recommended for contact with aluminum.

After you remove the decals you will probably have some adhesive left on the plane. 3M makes a good adhesive remover that is not very hard on painted surfaces. Any good auto parts store should have it and some Wal-Marts have it in the automotive dept.

Last edited:
All good ideas, thanks guys. Yes, it occured to me that the paint may look different under the decals. I'll have to take a little decal off and see. Will report back when/if I buy it.

the eraser

this tool will leave very little if any glue on the surface. roll it off then hit it with your favorite polish and ride.. err, i mean fly :D

NOTE: once the wheel gets down to about 1" in dia. be careful not to let the mandrel get exposed and scratch your paint.. its about 4" in dia when new one wheel will remove the 1" wide stripe from a large car and have some left over. (a little less than half.)if you have loads of decals i would try the hair dryer if the decals are relatively new. good vinyl is usually easy to remove for a couple of years.esp if hangared.

Last edited:
DON'T USE LACQUER THINNER it will surely ruin your day. Turpintine works good or the 3-M remover as mentioned earlier. but NEVER lacquer thinner