avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Getting ready to remove the cap and plunger from the manual trim cable. Don't want to damage the cable. Any tips for doing this?
Vans says to just prior it off with a screwdriver. Does the plastic head that goes over the rubber insert come off?

You can just pry out the floppy rubber cover with a very small screwdriver no problem. If it rips it's not a big deal. The rest of the plastic knob does not come off as far as I can tell, but you can removedt the cable from the knob shaft if you screw the knob all the way in and unscrew the steel/brass fitting. I had to ask this same question a few months ago.

I had to dig out the remains of the rubber cap with an exacto knife and small screwdriver because it was glued in with waaay too much gookum pucky. Lowes stocks the black plastic covers although bottle caps can be bent to fit.
Steve

Steve said:
I had to dig out the remains of the rubber cap with an exacto knife and small screwdriver because it was glued in with waaay too much gookum pucky. Lowes stocks the black plastic covers although bottle caps can be bent to fit.
Steve
Or you could let me sell you one of these for $12. Email me if you are interested.