dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
When I built my 10, I believe I purchased through vans, although it may have done somewhere else a wheel to place on my grinder and use that wheel to clean up any birds or rough edges on airframe parts, such as ribs, longerons, etc. with a move, I have misplaced that grinding wheel. Does that grinding wheel sound familiar to anyone and if so, I would appreciate a suggestion where I could get another.

Most builders use this one.
3M Scotchbrite 7AM (medium), 6"x1", 1/2" arbor. Any source is fine, but make sure to get 3M with the right size arbor.

These are they :) Should it be medium or fine? The link provided by bjdecker is to a fine wheel.

These are they :) Should it be medium or fine? The link provided by bjdecker is to a fine wheel.
I have both, and use the fine more. Fine will deburr but harder to take extra metal off. The medium will take metal off. I think there is good reason for both.

Personal preference. I think most prefer the medium. Some have both. Word of warning. Keep a soft buffing wheel on the opposite side. Nothing worse than trashing an expensive part hitting a stone wheel. Yep. Been there. I keep a home made carboard buffing wheel on the other side.

A quick hit with a fine file, or a manual debur tool, will extend the life of a 3M wheel significantly. Takes off mill marks, tags and small nicks, leaving the wheel to polish the edge.
Doesn’t take much time. One quick pass.

I seem to recall disimilar metal corrosion advisory about using a Scotch Brite wheel on aluminum parts that has been contaminated with Iron.