N925JL

Patron
I have a bearing race that to my eye is not as good as it should be. Want to replace the bearing and the race as a pair.

How do I get the old one out, what are the things not to do, so I don't damage the wheel?

Tips are appreciated

JL

Drove mine out with a 9/16" brass drift. I used a straight shank brass punch to install the new races.......... no problem.

Install tool

Lisle Tool co sells a nice install driver set #12600. I'm sure you can buy it in several brands. It installs the races correctly.

Knock out your old one with a punch or sacrificial screwdriver. A few thousandths on each side at a time until it pops loose. Grind th OD of your old race a few thou, and use it on top of your new one for a driver. Hammer in the new one by working around the race (cup). Try not to get too out of square. When the whacking sound changes it's pitch ALL the way around, you're seated.

Heat and cold

Punch out the race as others have described. Throw the race in the freezer and the wheel in the oven (about 125-150 degrees) and bake. When the race is cold and the wheel is hot the race should just drop in.

Thanks for the useful advise

Guys:

Thanks all for your thoughtful advice and comments!!

Have a good and safe weekend.

JL