Ron Lee

Well Known Member
I may have seen a source listed here but can't find it. I used electrical tape for the Bahamas and the US customs guy did not like it.

Didnt like it, as in would not accept it in the future?
What part did he not like?
Removable? hard to read?
Ive not seen any requirements on either.

Ive done the electrical tape and shoe polish. Neither attracted any attention from multiple ports of entry.

I may have seen a source listed here but can't find it. I used electrical tape for the Bahamas and the US customs guy did not like it.

part 45.29(h) covers 12" number requirements for aircraft penetrating an ADIZ or DEWZ. They may be permanent or temporary.

I don't recall the specific language. It was readable. Maybe because it was not perfect letters/numbers or electrical tape. Just said he would not accept it again although I don't know that he has any say in the matter.

Sometimes it is best to let people on power trips have their way.

Maybe because of 45.29(d)?

"(d) Thickness. Characters must be formed by solid lines one-sixth as thick as the character is high."

So unless your electrical tape was 2" wide for your 12" high numbers...

--Paul

Last edited:
Looking at that picture, it looks fine to me. I think maybe you're right about the power trip theory...

--Paul

Don't use duct tape

Careful, it peels paint and leaves a nasty residue! (how do I know?)

Wouldn't electrical tape have black residue after being in the sun for an extended period of time? I get that stuff on my hands all the time when I'm replacing cable for Satellite TV installs, its pretty nasty.

I used painters tape for race numbers and when I got on the ground the numbers under the wing were almost all gone. May not apply to the fuselage.

Temp Numbers

On new larger airplanes we often have to deliver them to the end user before the new owner's special numbers get approved through OKC. We have them paint on his final numbers at the factory then spray over them with the base color in lacquer so they disappear. Over that we put the current number on with black lacquer. Since the base coat is a urethane like JetGlo etc., MEK won't touch it. So, when the number is finally approved, we use MEK and rags and wipe off the temps revealing the permanent ones . Re-pin the ELTs in the rafts and airplane and its transponders and the job is done.

All this may not fit for you, but maybe there is something in there you can use. Figure out a paint and solvent combination that won't hurt the base coat and use that. Wipe the big ones off when you get home.

Don

If I were doing this, I would by a 24" X 10 yard roll of exibition-grade vinyl for less than $30, cut the letters on my cutter (you could go to a sign shop,) wax the area, spray it lightly with soapy water and apply the letters. Removing them would leave no residue. Life is two years for this cheap grade vinyl. There is a vinyl remover liquid, but a hair dryer would make it easy. It might take a little longer to remove than tape, but less time to put down. It would look like a pro job, if that is important to you.

Bob Kelly

Figure out a paint and solvent combination that won't hurt the base coat and use that. Wipe the big ones off when you get home.

There is temporary "car art" rattlecan paint by Duplicolor: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/carart.html

I've done some test patches on my urethane-painted RV-6 and it stays on, even flying in light rain, but comes off with a sponge and soap and water.

I'm thinking to get a negative vinyl paint mask stencil of my numbers, and use that temporary paint.

That would only really make sense if the vinyl mask is re-usable, though. Otherwise the one-off price of 12" numbers from Sporty's ($35 both sides) looks hard to beat for temporary numbers: http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&did=19&product_id=218

--Paul

I use 18" wide Contact shelf/drawer liner

I use 18" wide Contact shelf/drawer liner. There is a 1/2" grid on the back so it is easy to draw the reverse pattern of the numbers and letters you need. Be sure to wash the area before you apply them. They come off when you raise an edge with your fingernail then peel them off pulling 180 degrees from the starting end. They do not come off in flight, they do not leave a residue and they do not damage the airplane's paint. I buy white and use it straight but a Sharpie pen can be used before application to make permanent changes to red, blue, black, green ... I was told about this by a sympathetic female air racer who was also an airline pilot that witnessed my struggles with tape numbers peeling in flight. I flew the whole race season last year and they looked new at the end.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Removable Large Numbers

Or you could go with the large numbers from the get-go. I don't have any plans to go to the Bahamas or Mexico but I like the "look" of the bigger numbers. I ordered these from Aircraft Spruce and are the black put on top of the white like the RV 7 trainer that Mike Seager trains in or use to train in.

http://img12.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hangarsmallimage.jpg

S S Anderson
Lafayette, La.

An obvious question to me that does not appear to be covered in the FAR is readability of temporary numbers. For example, if one has some lines or designs along the fuselage (as many RVs do) and the temp numbers are placed over these lines/designs, in some cases the numbers are going to be more difficult to read than if they were on a solid-color background. Anyone have experience with this as an issue when crossing the border? Solution maybe to use the vinyl or contact paper idea and leave a white background temporarily?

thanks,
greg

Did you read my report or are you just good? Yes that was North Eleuthera and I departed and cleared at Ft Pierce.

I went to North Eleuthera because of the pink sand beach.

Last edited:
I've been to north Eleuthera many times. I have a place on Long Island and often fly up there to clear Bahamian customs for the trip back. The last time a G5 waited for us to land before taxiing for departure. It was pretty cool to watch him take off so close. Where is your trip report? I'd like to read it.

An obvious question to me that does not appear to be covered in the FAR is readability of temporary numbers. For example, if one has some lines or designs along the fuselage (as many RVs do) and the temp numbers are placed over these lines/designs, in some cases the numbers are going to be more difficult to read than if they were on a solid-color background. Anyone have experience with this as an issue when crossing the border? Solution maybe to use the vinyl or contact paper idea and leave a white background temporarily?

I have the same question... CFR 45.21(c) sez marks must (2) Have no ornamentation; (3) Contrast in color with the background; and (4) Be legible. Sounds like it just comes down to a judgment call by whoever is looking at your plane.

Our RV-6 doesn't have any fancy designs, but it does have blue, gray, and white stripes. White letters are going to overlap with some white parts, but might be legible anyway, depending on what you mean by that. Black letters are going to contrast with all those colors, though not very much with the dark blue, but how much is enough.

Your idea of going with a big sheet of white plastic with contrasting numbers on it would solve that problem. I'd guess it might be harder to remove a big sheet than individual cutout letters though. And you need to be careful you don't cover up your static ports.:)

--Paul

my vote

i found the 2 inch blue painters tape has worked fine. my girlfriends side seems to hold up better. we apply just before departing the islands. itys on for a couple hours and comes of with no problem.
img2268.jpg

The following FARs (after 45.21) are more specific...

I have the same question... CFR 45.21(c) sez marks must (2) Have no ornamentation; (3) Contrast in color with the background; and (4) Be legible. Sounds like it just comes down to a judgment call by whoever is looking at your plane.

Our RV-6 doesn't have any fancy designs, but it does have blue, gray, and white stripes. White letters are going to overlap with some white parts, but might be legible anyway, depending on what you mean by that. Black letters are going to contrast with all those colors, though not very much with the dark blue, but how much is enough.

Your idea of going with a big sheet of white plastic with contrasting numbers on it would solve that problem. I'd guess it might be harder to remove a big sheet than individual cutout letters though. And you need to be careful you don't cover up your static ports.:)

--Paul

FAR 45.29 is very specific on the thickness, spacing etc. - just "legible" and "judgement" does not fully meet the FARs....:)

http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part45-29-FAR.shtml

i found the 2 inch blue painters tape has worked fine. my girlfriends side seems to hold up better. we apply just before departing the islands. itys on for a couple hours and comes of with no problem.
img2268.jpg

Uhhhh, Turbo - are there numbers in this picture???;)

I don't recall the specific language. It was readable. Maybe because it was not perfect letters/numbers or electrical tape. Just said he would not accept it again although I don't know that he has any say in the matter.

Sometimes it is best to let people on power trips have their way.

It is very unfortunate but each customs office can make there own rules, :mad: if you don't believe me just ask em.

They don't want people knowing/having a standardized set of practices for coming into the country. In short, most MOST of them are fine, its the few A holes that ruin the rep for the Customs folks, PBI is one of the worst for me.

Temporary N numbers

Looking forward to flying the Canadian 2010 Interprovincial Air Tour this May. One of the to-do's on my list is getting some temporary 12" N numbers for getting back into the country. Aircraft Spruce has some vinyl ones for around $60.00, not sure if they are easily removable. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Gary
RV7A
N715AB