prkaye

Well Known Member
So, following the instructions of the manufacturer, I am repairing the leading edges of my prop with JB-Weld. I taped off the edge with masking tape, and smeared the JB-Weld along. Now, my question is should I remove the tape before the JB-Weld hardens? On the one hand I fear after it hardens all the excess will harden along the tape with it, and it will be very hard to get the tape off and excess JB-Weld off. On the other hand, if I take the tape off now, I fear it will take the JB-Weld off with it...

JB Weld gets rock hard when it sets and you won't be able to get that tape off if you wait....

JB weld

Not doing a prop but I use plastic tape or electrical tape and leave the tape on. Block sand with 80 and then 120 grit until you start to sand into the tape and then pull the tape. There may be small shreds of tape which you can remove with solvent.

Not doing a prop but I use plastic tape or electrical tape and leave the tape on. Block sand with 80 and then 120 grit until you start to sand into the tape and then pull the tape. There may be small shreds of tape which you can remove with solvent.

Yep. The tape is a thickness gauge, and keeps you from marking up the paint outside the repaired area.

Recall how we do an epoxy edge on a canopy?

tape

The electrical tape I measured is .008 thick. I use a 2" disc sander with 120 grit to sand. Very light touch as you get close to the tape.