Saville

Well Known Member
I've had this steel front seat stick, for a while, and I'm just getting around to install. I noticed a little rust/corrosion at the bottom (see photos).
I don't think it compromises the integrity but I want to remove the rust, prime and paint.

My plan was to hit it with some Naval Jelly and then prime and paint.

Does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3104.jpg
    IMG_3104.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3105.jpg
    IMG_3105.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
You'll get a lot of opinions and options here.

First = Mechanical removal; Blast is first choice but wire brush at a minimum.
Second = Chemical removal/conversion. Naval Jelly or Ospho (or others). Both contain phosphoric acid which converts the iron oxide to iron phosphate - > less reactive. Even white vinegar will effectively dissolve rust but you need to remove the resulting salt.

You'll get a lot of opinions and options here.

First = Mechanical removal; Blast is first choice but wire brush at a minimum.
Second = Chemical removal/conversion. Naval Jelly or Ospho (or others). Both contain phosphoric acid which converts the iron oxide to iron phosphate - > less reactive. Even white vinegar will effectively dissolve rust but you need to remove the resulting salt.
Scotch-Brite....muscle....a few minutes.

S.

I used this when I painted the control sticks in my -4 almost 25 years ago. I remember only because I came across the container in the basement the other night. :)

https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-40204...8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

I selected this over straight Naval jelly as POR-15 generates a stable, paint ready surface. Once you remove rust with Naval jelly, it must be painted immediately as the part will re-rust if there is even a little ambient humidity.