diamond

Well Known Member
Has anyone done, or considered, a removable wing mod on the 7 or 9? The 12 has it, but I'm wondering if it is at all feasible to incorporate this in these other RVs.

Don't think so..

Newbie here, but from what I've read/understand, the only plane really designed for removeable wings is the -12. I think the other planes are really meant to be left together...

Has anyone done, or considered, a removable wing mod on the 7 or 9? The 12 has it, but I'm wondering if it is at all feasible to incorporate this in these other RVs.

The wings are removable as is, actually. Just pull the close-tolerance bolts in the main spar along with the rear spar bolts, disconnect control connections along with fuel & electrical lines, remove the bolt at the tank attach bracket, and remove the wings. To connect them, simply do the above in reverse. It couldn't be easier!

;)

The wings are removable as is, actually. Just pull the close-tolerance bolts in the main spar along with the rear spar bolts, disconnect control connections along with fuel & electrical lines, remove the bolt at the tank attach bracket, and remove the wings. To connect them, simply do the above in reverse. It couldn't be easier!

;)

How much time would this require? How commonly is this done and what are typical reasons for doing this?

How much time would this require? How commonly is this done and what are typical reasons for doing this?

I think that was a joke. It takes a couple of days to put the wings on (including wiring, plumbing etc...) - maybe a day if you are fast. Also, the close tolerance bolts are 'single use' and I wouldn't want to gall the aluminum by replacing the bolts too many times.

When asked about removing my wings, my response is "the wings on my RV will only be removed by two appropriately placed trees". :eek:

Last edited:

Three or four hours each way, and that's if you have a helper. Keep an air chisel handy to remove the bolts, and a freezer to shrink them to get them in. :D

In reality, it's not commonly done, and usually to remove a damaged RV from somewhere. Some of these bolts are a true pain to get to....

L.Adamson --- RV6A... where the number of bolts are even worse

Just last week, I was helping taking an RV-4 apart to put it in a container. Mark worked on the wing removal, I took off the tail surfaces, disconnected the fuel lines, removed fairings, etc.

It took the two of us about four to five hours to do this.

Of course, the RV4 still has the zillion wing bolts (36?), where the 7 and 9 do with a lot less of them. Not that this matters a lot though. Bottom line: It's too much work to do on a regular basis, and it is easy enough to do maybe two or three times in the life of an aircraft.

FWIW

Hans

OK, after reading the posts here, I just want to revisit this issue one more time. I fully realize the RV 7 and 9 are not designed for routine wing removal. For those of you who have built one of these planes, is there anything that can be modified in the construction that would make the wings any easier to remove than the 4+ hours quoted in this thread? I don't mean major design mods that would make it as easy as a RV-12, but more subtle changes that would cut the removal time down to say 1 hour or less. I really want an RV that I can trailer several times a year, but have ruled out the RV-12 because I need more speed, more range, and a tail dragger.

Thanks

Without a MAJOR redesign, there is no way to do this without greatly compromising the strength of the aircraft.

Tail dragger is better.

The RV7/9 wings would be somewhat easier to remove on the taildragger as opposed to the trigear. But like others have said, new bolts, a helper or two and a day to do the job properly. I don't know that I would want to subject the airframe to many on/off cycles.

Bevan

Why not just fly the plane X-C to where it needs to be? There are a ton of qualified pilots in the RV community that would be glad to ferry your airplane for you if you can't do it yourself, just for some stick time and expenses.

Friends don't let friends trailer airplanes...

In addition to the T-18, mentioned above, you may also want to consider a Mustang II. Like the T-18, this plane has a folding wing option, and its performance stats compare very favorably with the RV7. IMHO, while we all like mods, it is better to buy/build a plane that fits your mission than to butcher the structure of another plane to shoehorn it into your mission.

Check out the mustangs.

The mustang has a folding wing option. Check them out. I think the website is http://www.mustangaero.com.
The RV7 and 9 were not designed to have folding or removable wings. As you said, the 12 does. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND AGAINST "redesigning" the 7 or the 9 to have removable wings. As far as I know, you would be the ONLY one out there who did it. Pretty risky business.

To answer your question...

...Most of the wings that are removed is for paint. My buddy in Sandersville, Ga has lots of experience removing -4, -6, -6A, -7 and -7A wings. The autobody guy comes by with his rollback and brings the airplane back in pieces and Ray re-assembles it.

Regards,