markscogg

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a good system for a easy to remove joystick with a push-to-talk button? (RV-6)
I would like to be able to just unplug the passenger joystick for the larger passengers.
I also have a friend with a RV-4 who would like to put in a child's car seat in the back for his son.
The plunger pin idea might be OK for the stick, but what about the wires?
Thanks for you ideas.
Mark

ptt

Something to consider is the fact that if you remove the rear stick, the pax will not have a ptt. If you mount the ptt switch somewhere in the cabin, but not on the stick, the pax can use it even without the stick being in place.

I got that idea from another poster a few days ago and have decided to go that route on my 8A.

An option...

markscogg said:
Does anyone have a good
system for a easy to remove joystick with a
push-to-talk button? (RV-6)...............Thanks
for you ideas.Mark
Mark,
I use the "Bubble-Buster" removable joystick
http://www.safeair1.com/index.htm so I
placed the passenger PTT here. No complaints
yet from those who have used it.
ptt163bw.jpg

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

I made both sticks removable for easier maintenance (boy was that a good idea). Just used an AMP mate and lock 2 pin connector for the PTT wires. Works great.

Maybe this is too low tech, but I just used a couple of knife splice connectors and some heat shrink. They weigh next to nothing and are dirt cheap.

Passenger PTT not on stick

PTT not on the stick is a great idea. It's really annoying if you are flying, and the co-pilot has to hold his hand on the yoke or stick to push the PTT button. Kind of messes up your rhythm.

rv6ejguy said:
I made both sticks removable for easier maintenance (boy was that a good idea). Just used an AMP mate and lock 2 pin connector for the PTT wires. Works great.

I think the connector would be quickest mod to an already flying plane.

One connector would dangle down from the removed joystick I guess.
But what keeps the bottom connector from dropping down in the stub?

I would be really sweet if the plugs would mate automatically when you put the stick in. Too much engineering for the result though.

Thanks
Mark

markscogg said:
I think the connector would be quickest mod to an already flying plane.

One connector would dangle down from the removed joystick I guess.
But what keeps the bottom connector from dropping down in the stub?

I would be really sweet if the plugs would mate automatically when you put the stick in. Too much engineering for the result though.

Thanks
Mark

If I were doing this, I'd approach it by mounting two metal pads on the bottom of the stick, and a couple of springs in the "stub". It would probably cost you $2.00 for parts (take apart a cheap battery holder from radio shack for the springs) and an evening of fabrication/rivetting. Having done a lot of precission robotics work, I know that getting things like connectors to mate automatically is a PITA (it CAN be done, though). Springs and pads are simple, reliable, and not subject to loosening because of wear.

edit: if you want to get fancy, you can use "pogo pins" instead of cheapo springs. They're spring loaded pins (similar to the pins that hold your watch band on, but designed for electronics and various sizes/shapes/throws).

Last edited:
Ptt

I'd just get rid of the right side PTT entirely. Pax want to talk to me, they have the intercom. The folks I carry over there have nothing to say to ATC anyway, so they don't need to be able to xmit on the radio.