Bill_H

Well Known Member
Patron
Has anyone modified the lower part of the center instrument panel piece so that it can be removed/replaced/modified without having to withdraw and reconnect the throttle, choke, and heater cables? I am waiting for Skyview, which will involve a different center panel than the one I have now during construction (now finishing up the engine and cowling work). But I went ahead and installed the heater door cable just to get all those measurements done. And then taking it out and putting it back later will be a royal pain. And thinking down the road, I might want to add something in that center section above the radio.

Looks to me like the holes for these cables could be made into vertical slots exiting downward. Now, this plate has to be a hefty member to give you something to push against when moving these controls. So on the back side of it, below where the cables are, a horizontal bar the full width of that center panel and maybe an inch tall would be added and secured with nutplates. That would block the slots and keep the cables in the right place at the top of the slots.

Since I will have the original center panel, the whole bottom portion could be cut and used as a doubler. Anything I am not seeing here? (The wires to the AP switch already have disconnects.)

Engine Controls

Has anyone modified the lower part of the center instrument panel piece so that it can be removed/replaced/modified without having to withdraw and reconnect the throttle, choke, and heater cables? I am waiting for Skyview, which will involve a different center panel than the one I have now during construction (now finishing up the engine and cowling work). But I went ahead and installed the heater door cable just to get all those measurements done. And then taking it out and putting it back later will be a royal pain. And thinking down the road, I might want to add something in that center section above the radio.

Looks to me like the holes for these cables could be made into vertical slots exiting downward. Now, this plate has to be a hefty member to give you something to push against when moving these controls. So on the back side of it, below where the cables are, a horizontal bar the full width of that center panel and maybe an inch tall would be added and secured with nutplates. That would block the slots and keep the cables in the right place at the top of the slots.

Since I will have the original center panel, the whole bottom portion could be cut and used as a doubler. Anything I am not seeing here? (The wires to the AP switch already have disconnects.)

Bill if you look at one of the RV 12 Viking engine conversions you will see how he has relocated engine controls to a Sub panel under the center Panel. Hope this helps..............