prkaye

Well Known Member
Has anybody tried the dynon remote compass on the pilot's side floor, directly behind the seat? My only concern is proximity to the steel flap actuator and the seat-belt HW. But the Dynon wiring harness doesn't give a huge amount of length for this, so without splicing their harness I can't get farther back.

Dynon compass module.

I would guess that to be a no go. You really need to get that thing as far back and away from anything ferrous as possible. I would worry about stuff in the baggage compartment that you might carry (like a bike), and also the close proximity to headsets, which will wreak havoc with the sensor. My sensor is 2 feet away from the canopy frame when I slide it back, and the heading will change 10 degrees when I am sliding it back the last 3 inches or so. I am sure that the big honkin' steel flap rod actuator weldment would affect it.
Best locations are on the wingtip, (not my personal preference, too much waggle in rough air) suspended artfully in the fuse cone (like mine) or the ever popular under the tail fairing installation (that I will try next time).

Hope this helps,
Chris

ok, so i guess it's inevitable that i'll have to splice-up the dynon wiring harness, to get the required length.

ok, so i guess it's inevitable that i'll have to splice-up the dynon wiring harness, to get the required length.
Yes, you need to put it someplace the tools and "stuff' you bring with you won't impact it.

Don't splice that wire, just get some connectors and make an extension cord.

Extension Cord

If you add an extension cord make sure you jumper the shield across the conncection.

It's funny that your wire isn't long enough. I had to replace a majority of my Dynon harness wires with longer ones with exception to the remote compass wire. I've got my remote compass mounted a bay behind the baggage bulkhead and I ended up shortening the supplied wire.

If you add an extension cord make sure you jumper the shield across the conncection.

It's funny that your wire isn't long enough. I had to replace a majority of my Dynon harness wires with longer ones with exception to the remote compass wire. I've got my remote compass mounted a bay behind the baggage bulkhead and I ended up shortening the supplied wire.

Yes, very strange to me too. I put my magnetometer on the aft deck (under the v-stab) and the length was just about perfect.

Yes, very strange to me too. I put my magnetometer on the aft deck (under the v-stab) and the length was just about perfect.
I was hoping to avoid admitting this, but I was looking at the wrong wire :eek: . I grabbed one that had the right size of connector and assumed it was for teh Magnometer. What I grabbed was actually teh PC-connection cable. I have yet to unroll my white magnometer cable, so maybe it will be long enough.

I have a GRT system but for the location, I installed them behind the baggage compartment up on top of the bulkhead sort of above the elevator bell crank. It is working great and easy to get to for maintenance or any thing else. The only ferrous metal near it is the seat belt cables but they are far enough to have any effect. I believe Vans put theirs for the RV12 in the same location.