NickAir

Well Known Member
Where and how is the best location to mount a dynon 10A remote compass on a RV7.

Photos would be worth a thousand words.

Looking for a location for best accuracy.

Installation Note:
RV7 is already flying. Consideration for locating remote compass mounting spot after being built.

-6 Installation

Here is where I put mine for a D100 on my RV6. Not flying quite yet so don't now how it works in service. Access and installation is easy but I have heard some say that it might be affected by the steel elevator horn which is about 1 foot away. I need to check by firing up the Dynon and seeing if moving the elevators affects the DI tape or compass rose.

magnetometer1xi0.jpg

compasssensor.jpg

BTW the OAT probe that wires through it is under the LH HS Tip Fairing to get it away from cabin and engine bay heat and keep it shaded. Hopefully it's far enough back and outboard not to be affected by exhaust and prop wash.

Jim Sharkey

Last edited:
Mine is mounted in the wing tip. Easy to install and get to in that location and no interference issues.

Here is where I put mine for a D100 on my RV6. Not flying quite yet so don't now how it works in service. Access and installation is easy but I have heard some say that it might be affected by the steel elevator horn which is about 1 foot away. I need to check by firing up the Dynon and seeing if moving the elevators affects the DI tape or compass rose.
If the elevator horn is 1' away, I don't think it will affect the compass. My compass is mounted just behind the baggage bulkhead within a foot of my ELT and it is not affected.

Mel. Do you have a picture by any chance? I'm interested in seeing if people built a shelf off the bulkhead, or put a piece of angle from longeron to longeron or what.

Many thanks.

An alternative

I'm not saying it's better and in this case, it's for the GRT, not Dynon, but since it was a requirement to align it in all 3 axes, I placed it on the shelf that supports the HS spar, but forward of the spar. In this way I was able to align it in yaw, using the spar as reference and a machinist's square. Pitch and roll take care of themselves in this position. In addition, it's very easy to access when the fairing is off.I have access to the underside for the nuts that secure the brass machine screws by putting my hand through the holes that are already there.

Mel. Do you have a picture by any chance? I'm interested in seeing if people built a shelf off the bulkhead, or put a piece of angle from longeron to longeron or what.
Many thanks.
I just mounted it to the floor on the port side just behind the baggage bulkhead using shims to get it "level" with the D10A. I'll check and see if I can find a picture.
Bob, I found a picture. If you will give me your e-mail, I'll send it to you. I don't do pictures on the forum.
972-784-7544
n168tx(at)flytx.net

Last edited:
here ya go.

Many thanks.

Here's a link to a previous post on that topic. The entire thread would be a good read for this subject.

magnetomer mount

In my pic, I mounted a big chunky crossbow ahrs and the smaller, lighter AFS magnetometer together. A smaller lighter tray would suffice just for the magnetometer. This location, just aft of the baggage bulkhead is very accessible and serviceable in a finished craft. I have a tip-up.

magnetometer1xi0.jpg

compasssensor.jpg

BTW the OAT probe that wires through it is under the LH HS Tip Fairing to get it away from cabin and engine bay heat and keep it shaded. Hopefully it's far enough back and outboard not to be affected by exhaust and prop wash.

Jim Sharkey

FYI - I checked on the aircraft today. Moving the elevator from stop to stop swings the DI Tape/Compass Rose by between 2 and 3 degrees :(

This is where Dynon suggested. I might try and move the magnetometer forward on the rear deck to get it further away from the steel elevator horn.

If I was doing it again I'd go for a wing tip mount. I might change to that later.

Jim Sharkey

FYI - I checked on the aircraft today. Moving the elevator from stop to stop swings the DI Tape/Compass Rose by between 2 and 3 degrees :(

This is where Dynon suggested. I might try and move the magnetometer forward on the rear deck to get it further away from the steel elevator horn.

If I was doing it again I'd go for a wing tip mount. I might change to that later.

Jim Sharkey

Let's hope you don't move the elevator from stop to stop in flight while you are checking the heading tape on the Dynon! :eek:

Your mag will work fine in the present location. I've had three different brands of magnetometers on the rear deck and they all have been very accurate in my RV-6.

Thanks Sam

Let's hope you don't move the elevator from stop to stop in flight while you are checking the heading tape on the Dynon! :eek:

Your mag will work fine in the present location. I've had three different brands of magnetometers on the rear deck and they all have been very accurate in my RV-6.

Actually 2 degrees is hard to discern on a gyro DI but it seems like a lot on the 7" tape across the top of the D100. Also you are right about not checking your heading while pulling the elevator from stop to stop. My flight with Mike Seager in the factory -7 demonstrated what amazing elevator authority these things have. It didn't take much control movement to feel like you had been hit in the stomach :)

Jim Sharkey

Nick,

Try doing a search on this topic, it seems to come up about once a month and there are some really good threads on the subject.

One note on testing locations using the display on the EFIS to see how much motion you get: The system is uncalibrated from the factory, and may be much more responsive to magnetic fluctuations when uncalibrated than when calibrated. What looks like 3 degrees when uncalibrated may be invisible when calibrated.

This isn't a for sure thing, but if you are using an uncalibrated compass, be aware of this possible effect.

One of our favorite locations on the RV's is up high behind the baggage bulkhead. It's generally a very clean location and easy to get to.

One note on testing locations using the display on the EFIS to see how much motion you get: The system is uncalibrated from the factory, and may be much more responsive to magnetic fluctuations when uncalibrated than when calibrated. What looks like 3 degrees when uncalibrated may be invisible when calibrated.

This isn't a for sure thing, but if you are using an uncalibrated compass, be aware of this possible effect.

One of our favorite locations on the RV's is up high behind the baggage bulkhead. It's generally a very clean location and easy to get to.

Thanks for feedback.
Jim Sharkey

I have my magnetomer on the rear deck like Jim's, but mine is at the forward end of the deck.

It is important when you calibrate it to do the magnetic intensity/magnetic deviation calibration that is mentioned on Dynon's site. Before I did that procedure and then calibrated the performance was lacking.

My magnetomer now works great and full elevator deflections on the ground result in no swing of the heading tape whatsoever.

Just make sure you do as Jim did and get the mounting angle of the magnetometer equal to that of the EFIS head.