lorne green

Well Known Member
I'm concerned with the placement of remote compass wire...passing by other wiring ie: Sheilded strobe wires etc. Should I be concerned?

Yea Lorne, be concerned but don't fret. Unfortunately, you won't know untill you test. I ran mine last week (compass wires), and today saw several posts on the Dynon site about problems. Cureously, many people seem to have done the exact thing that the poster's did and see no ill effects. I havn't tested yet, but will reroute wires if and when I need to.

My advice is test and if you have problems shoot them. The best thing to do in my mind is insure you have good reliable shielded grounds in all RF (antenna) wires.

Not much help, huh?

Larry

Since you didn't indicate a manufacturer, I can't speak for the other ones, but at Dynon, the only issue we have ever seen is with antenna wires. I'm not aware of every hearing a problem with any other kind of wire, including strobes. We use a differential communications system with the compass that is pretty resistant to noise.

Of course, the actual compass needs to be away from any wires carrying anything more than a small amount of current.

more remote compass

Since you didn't indicate a manufacturer, I can't speak for the other ones, but at Dynon....snip...
Of course, the actual compass needs to be away from any wires carrying anything more than a small amount of current.

Yes, Dynon is where I'll hang my hat:). Now, how far is "away from other wires". Are we speaking of feet or inches? (milimeters or meters?:D) The closest wires are likely to be 6 - 8" inches and will draw 1.5 and 3 amps plus the shielded strobe. Thoughts, Dynonsupport?

Are we speaking of feet or inches? (milimeters or meters?:D)

I would prefer standardized units. :D And does it matter when the units are alone, I wish to see numbers as well... like 1 meter or 1000 millimeter so the unit itself doesn't make any difference. ;)

Running Dynon OAT-probe wires and using Metal D-sub connector?

Hello,

I do not want to hijack the thread, but I have a couple of related questions:

I installed the Dynon OAT-probe in the bottom wing skin, about 3 or 4 feet from the fuselage side. To allow me to wire everything up before I have the wings on, I called Dynon about putting in a connector at the wing root, which they said was no problem. So I installed a ?mate-n-lock? 3 pin connector. The OAT-probe connects to the remote compass, which I have mounted in the rear fuselage, well away of any steel and current carrying cables. The shielded OAT-probe cable was not long enough anyway, so I ran 3 single wires to the remote compass. I connected the shield to the ground wire at the mate-n-lock connector. Will it be OK like this? The wires run along with the remote compass wires, the AP-servo wires and the strobe cables, but I used a dedicated ground for the Dynon.

I have done everything to keep the remote compass clear of any magnetic interference:, used plastic screws, etc. But,?. when I connected up the wires, I had to use a 9-pin D-sub connector, which has a metal casing and 4 (tiny) screws. I suppose there will be adjustment for this, like there is on any compass? (through the software?)

Regards, PilotTonny