Should be pretty easy to do the power part. I think a Seawind has a power canopy, or at least the ones I saw at a, umm, completion center. I recall a 12v linear actuator. Air might be lighter, I dunno. From the background sound in the video, I'd guess a 12V compressor robbed from a portable tire inflator

Quick Google search, actuators and remotes:

http://www.firgelliauto.com/

And right about now, Van would be jumping up and down on his desk, blue in the face :).

faster by hand

It seems its faster to open/close the canopy by hand.

5 points for the custom touch though.

Remote air operated canopy

Hi

The system came about after a fellow builder and myself were relaxing with a beer after a long build day, maybe we were too relaxed at this point?

The total weight of the system is 5lbs, 4 lbs of that is the compressor. To prevent in flight activation the system has a micro switch fitted to the canopy lock, also a panel mounted lockout switch has been fitted. When the canopy is in the closed position there is no air pressure in the system, this means it can be opened as per the original Vans design, although the Vans gas struts have been removed.
Activation of the canopy is by the remote, an external key switch and panel mounted switch.

We still have not finished the electrical installation but as you can see the system does work. The compressor mounting position has yet to be decided and also an accumulator tank may also be fitted this would give about 8 activation cycles without the compressor having to run.

The unexpected bonus of this system is that there is no more twisting of the canopy that normally happens when opening by hand.

Mick

Mick, I built my air operated canopy about three years ago. I used rams that pushed off of the rudder pedal blocks. All worked well. But I changed my mind and wanted to keep it simple. So i removed it all and now it is on a shelf. BUT IT DID WORK!

But , had I gone with an on board compressor, the next thing would have been AIR FLAPS!!!! A lot easer than the air canopy that you just completed. Remember, a few pumps from a hand pump will also work, due to the small volume needed.........

...But , had I gone with an on board compressor, the next thing would have been AIR FLAPS!!!! A lot easer than the air canopy that you just completed. Remember, a few pumps from a hand pump will also work, due to the small volume needed.........
Funny, I was thinking you might be able to open and close the canopy with a pair of flap motors.

using flap motors

The only problem using flap motors to drive the canopy is if you lose power you are unable to open or close the canopy. Easy to be locked out your plane if you have a dead battery. You also need approx 12" of travel if you mount them to the original gas strut mounts on the canopy frame.

Mick

I like the hand pump flap idea (sorry for thread creep)

the next thing would have been AIR FLAPS!!!! **SNIP** a few pumps from a hand pump will also work, due to the small volume needed.........

Ala' Mooney. :) I looked briefly for used Mooney flap hand pumps (Hydraulic). I always liked that system. Never found any parts easily available without severe wallet lightening. I wound up installing Van's stock electric system. :(

I also like the Mooney flap system, but haven't been able to build something in my head that would be a reasonable price and reasonable build time. I'll probably stick with the stock Vans electric flaps.

spare parts left over

If anyone is interested in fitting a system such as this I have most of the major components left over. Because some of the components are custom made, I had to order several components at a time to make it viable for the supplier. Good for them not so good for me.
The parts I have are:
Air rams
Air solenoids
3 way key switches
2 channel remotes with 1 key ring transmitters
Rod eye fittings
Mounts, bushings and bolts
Pressure switches
Check valves
Micro switches

Other Items that would be required to fit the system are:
12 Volt air compressor 100psi minimum
Air fittings
6mm air line
Panel mount switch

Total cost for these should only be about $60 from the auto store and a hydraulics shop.

If you are interested or would like more info you can email me at [email protected]

Mick

And the point was..."Simplicate and add lightness?"

:)
YEP!

As long as you were going to have air power, use it for the flaps too and get rid of the problems with the flap motor and the dog house between the seats. You could use a ram for each side mounted to the bulkhead.

1. install bulkhead brackets.
2. install rams.
3. run 1/8" o.d. airquip air line to air valve and air supply.

If you had the air supply on the aircraft, then doing this would save installation time and also save weight.

This flap system would never fail in the down position.

Air Flaps

Nice idea on the air operated flaps, but I would think it would be difficult to correctly time flap deployments so that both were deployed at exactly the same time and to the same degree.

I think dual pistons on the flaps would also make it more prone to asymetrical deployments. Sticking with one would get rid of that concern.

Of course the other benefit of an air system is you could hook up ejection seats! They could serve either as an emergency egress mechanism or a way of getting rid of unwanted chatter during instrument approaches.

Nice idea on the air operated flaps, but I would think it would be difficult to correctly time flap deployments so that both were deployed at exactly the same time and to the same degree.

I think dual pistons on the flaps would also make it more prone to asymetrical deployments. Sticking with one would get rid of that concern.

Of course the other benefit of an air system is you could hook up ejection seats! They could serve either as an emergency egress mechanism or a way of getting rid of unwanted chatter during instrument approaches.

One ram on each side of the aircraft connected to the existing weldment at the point or there about, where the link connects from the flaps.

YOU LEAVE THE WELDMENT in place. But cut off the center "T" that would have gone to the motor.

The two air rams are connected with the air line and a "T" and one air line goes to the controller.

THE FLAPS WILL STAY IN SINC.

Should be pretty easy to do the power part. I think a Seawind has a power canopy, or at least the ones I saw at a, umm, completion center. I recall a 12v linear actuator. Air might be lighter, I dunno. From the background sound in the video, I'd guess a 12V compressor robbed from a portable tire inflator

Quick Google search, actuators and remotes:

http://www.firgelliauto.com/

Yep u r right. I have a linear actuator which opens and closes my canopy. Over 130 hours, no problems.....Quiet too.

Stability and simplistic?

While I don't care for a power lift on my tip up, I have never liked the twist you can get when opening it up. Could a combination of hydraulics and a pressure tank fix this?:rolleyes:

Does anyone here know if hydraulic cylinders come in the proper size and can have air on one side of their piston?
Pressure tank size = force ratio
Bleed valve = dampening

Last edited: