prkaye

Well Known Member
For over 10 years and almost 500 hours i flew VFR in my -9A and never had a good habit of checking NOTAMs or proper weather briefings (as a VFR pilot i never looked at GFA, only METAR/TAF at a few points along route).
I once arrived in Chatham during an RC aircraft event. They had to clear the runway for my arrival and were irritated at that i hadn't called ahead.
Since starting my IFR training last month, i have smartened-up.
The other day i was about to leave from my home field. The runway was NOTAM'd closed because a bunch of cows had escaped a neighbouring farmer's field and were on the airport.
A couple of days ago I was planning to fly to see my uncle at a nice little airport in Parry Sound Ontario. I checked the NOTAMs to discover that the runway is closed for about 3 months for improvement! It would have sucked if i'd flown 1.5 hours there only to discover i couild not land. A couple of years ago i probably would have done that.
Another time last fall i left Kitchener ON with blue skies, and clear weather at my destination in Ottawa. An hour east of Kitchener I encountered lowering ceilings and had to divert and overnight near Toronto. A simple look at the GFA would have prevented that!
One thing about the IFR training is that it has made me much more aware of how many things are dangerous, and how important proper weather and NOTAM briefings are. I thought i'd pass along the reminder, in case any other VFR pilots out there have become as complacent as i was!

Last edited:
My airport had an IAC contest a few weeks back. I had a radio on most of the time and it was a good reminder to listen to the air-boss catch and correct people about the closed runway and wrong patterns. Lots of 'unprofessional' replies, followed by him asking if they had checked notams, then a little more friendly response...or people just going quiet and leaving the area.

Some of our smaller airports here don't have NOTAMs but several have webcams and we have a local pilots group on a phone app to do a quick check around on status.
I always check weather (it's required by law here when flying away from aerodrome) and all the NOTAMs are listed in the same report, so it's easy.
Even if it wasn't the law it's a good habit, IMO.

Good advice Phil. I do try to check NOTAMS all the time, but hmm, I suppose have a few similar anecdotes I could share.
A recent AVweb poll had some, lets just say surprising results.

A good EFB makes it easy to check applicable notams. I also call the airport just before leaving to get any recent local gouge.

Even if I’m just staying in the pattern at our airpark, I check for TFRs and check NOTAMs at nearby airports in case something closes the runway and I have to divert.

Good reminder

I have become lax on checking ever since Missouri has lost its status as a swing state. Used to have TFRs all the time so always checked. Seems we have not had a political visitor requiring a TFR in years. I have recently tended to relying on my EFB to warn me of stuff while I am airborne. I need to get back to checking before I fly.

I usually glance at SkyVector before I head out. It gives me the big weather picture as well as depicting TFRs. Of course the one time I didn't I almost flew into a Blue Angels TFR. Luckily I was talking to Pensacola approach and they vectored me before I could become a pest.