TCSMOORE

Sunday afternoon I was flying with my son Andrew in VH-PDM (and RV7A) at 6,500' over the Sandy Desert in Western Australia between Broome (YBRM) and Meekatharra (YMEK).

Suddenly, low voltage alarm, very heavy drainage on amp meter and clearly an alternator issue.

Did 'Nearest' and pleased to see a very large strip at Plutonic Gold mine (YPLU). Commenced a divert for a precautionary landing (this is tiger territory you do not need to 'push on' with any issues!). [

Once all sorted I told ATC and they were on to it quickly. They reviewed the NOTAMS for YPLU and rang the mine to find the strip was closed and there was equipment operating on it etc.

We then got directed to a not too far away place Degrussa Copper Mine (see the picture at LINK )

A beautiful strip, a hot meal, watching The Tour de France in the mess, etc. A good diversion.

Anyway just a note to remind you when Nearest pops up and you feel anxious remember to check the NOTAM.

Got a ride back to the mine this am on the mine jet. New alternator and home to Jandakot YPJT safely.

Fly safe.

Tim