AndyRV7

Well Known Member
This is probably an easy question to your guys, but I couldn't find any reference with the search function.

Is it practical or even possible to relocate the rudder pedals on a flying plane (while in the hangar:))? Most of the planes I am looking at have the pedals too far aft for my long legs.

Any other options I am not considering?

Thanks!! Andy

Rudder pedal adjustment

You can see where the mounting blocks are positioned and if they can be moved forward you can drill new holes and do that. It will be a difficult job (being double or triple jointed would help :rolleyes:)
You will also need to make new attachment straps - the steel straps that connect the rudder cables to the pedals.
If the mounting blocks are all the way forward, you still have some (minor) adjustment possible with new attach straps. You'll have to be careful to make sure you don't let the pedals contact the firewall before getting full rudder deflection. Letting the bottom of the pedals move forward may also lean the brake pedals forward.
Also, check the seat back mounting - just in case it isn't in the aft most position.

I concur with Dennis. It would be a tricky but doable job. An angle drill would probably be a necessity. Depending on the geometry of your current setup, you might experiment with just lengthening the attach straps a little bit. This will move the lower pedal forward, but will increase the angle to your foot. Again, depending how yours was set up in the first place, this might provide a usable (and much easier) solution.

One trick- make some new straps out of aluminum rather than steel, and make them too long. You can progressively shorten them until you find the best length. This is for ground testing only- once you get the size dialed in, then make a new set out of steel for actual use in flight.

rudder Pedals

Like you I am pretty long in the legs and had to adjust my rudder pedals in my RV6.(My pedals are mounted on top) I first extended the rudder cables with a link made out of stainless. Due to the extra length in the cables, I now found it impossible to keep my toes off the brakes due to the steep angle of the pedals. To rectify this problem I built new brackets that attach the rudder pedal to the brakes with a longer length where it attaches to the brake cylinder. This was not too difficult to accomplish as you can drill out rivets and basically make the part from flat stock.

I may not have explained this too well but feel free to contact me if you need a clearer explanation.

Cheers, Al

The planes you are looking at may already have holes drilled that would allow the pedals to be moved forward. Many builders drill these during construction to allow for adjustment. You would still have to deal with the rudder cables.

The planes you are looking at may already have holes drilled that would allow the pedals to be moved forward. Many builders drill these during construction to allow for adjustment. You would still have to deal with the rudder cables.

I don't believe that is the case, though I don't understand why not! I did look at one plane that was 3 times drilled. A simple yet brilliant idea.:)

Another option might be just to make a new UHMW mounting block that is longer with cross tube holes placed further forward. Use the existing holes in the stringer....:)

Transfer template

The drilling job could probably be made considerably easier by making up a transfer drill template that would allow you to drill from the bottom, yet still get the hole spacing correct.