chris mitchell

Well Known Member
Patron
I've been mounting a SafeAir pitot mast -just outboard of the rib that is at the outboard edge of the inspection hatch that gives access to the bellcrank, to keep it as close to the Vans recommended positon as possible. With the hole cut in the skin, the skin clecoed in place and the mast then clecoed into position with 2 clecos through the skin and mast base and three clecos through the skin/spar flange and mast base, it seems quite flexible - its easy to move the tip back and forward, and watch the skin flex around the base. I was thinking of some sort of reinforcement at the back of the base, securing it to the adjacent rib, or even a piece of angle running accross the base between the two ribs that the mast is situated between. There are a number of photos here and one looks like thre is some reinforcement, but I can't see any detail on any of the others and there is no mention in the instructions. Or will everything be stiffer when the skin and mast are all rivetted in place?

As ever, help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

chris mitchell said:
I've been mounting a SafeAir pitot mast......it seems quite flexible........
Chris,

I am not familiar with the SafeAir design. As a data point for your reference, I have posted detail photos illustrating how a Gretz mounting plate is also tied into the adjacent rib with a piece of .032 angle stock. The resultant assembly seems very sturdy.

gretz01120wq9.jpg

gretz01915yj2.jpg