FLYPTV

Okay I'll admit it. . . I'm busy! And Lazy!

Could someone give me some Regulatory advice?

I have a friend that has just acquired an RV-6. He has asked me to check him out in it.

I am a CFII/MEI (although if I were paying money for instruction, I wouldn't go to me for anything.) Hence, he would be getting my expertise for free. Which due to some employment limitation, I would have to do that anyway. . . He gets what he pays for too. . .:p

Here is my question; I am a CFI, current in the RV-6. However, I do not have an endorsement to give tail wheel instruction. I have my own tail wheel endorsement.

Do I need an endorsement to give tail wheel instruction?

How about an endorsement to instruct in an RV-6?

Am I setting myself up for some insurance snafu if something goes wrong?

I just have never thought about it, and I am new to the experimental world. I don't really want to spend my Sunday afternoon bangin around in 100 degree temperatures. But I'd like to help him out, and make sure he is safe too!

Thanks for your help.

If you have a tailwheel endorsement on your CP certificate you may give tailwheel training. Same thing goes for high performance and complex endorsements. The only exception to this rule is instrument training. Must have the II for that.

Okay I'll admit it. . . I'm busy! And Lazy!

Could someone give me some Regulatory advice?

I have a friend that has just acquired an RV-6. He has asked me to check him out in it.

I am a CFII/MEI (although if I were paying money for instruction, I wouldn't go to me for anything.) Hence, he would be getting my expertise for free. Which due to some employment limitation, I would have to do that anyway. . . He gets what he pays for too. . .:p

Here is my question; I am a CFI, current in the RV-6. However, I do not have an endorsement to give tail wheel instruction. I have my own tail wheel endorsement.

Do I need an endorsement to give tail wheel instruction?

How about an endorsement to instruct in an RV-6?

Am I setting myself up for some insurance snafu if something goes wrong?

I just have never thought about it, and I am new to the experimental world. I don't really want to spend my Sunday afternoon bangin around in 100 degree temperatures. But I'd like to help him out, and make sure he is safe too!

Thanks for your help.

Ditto....

.....what Don said. I'd let his insurance co, know and possibly add you to the policy, as I've done with my friend and his -4. BTW, the cost to him came down when I was added:)

You know that you can charge for your time in his airplane?

Regards,

Thank you. . .

Thanks everybody!

He found somebody else. . . whew!

Not that I didn't want to do it, it's just that I don't feel I truly have enough experience in the RV to be teaching it.

With regards to doing this gratis Pierre, I have a limitation placed on me by my employer not to fly for compensation. So, it would have been for the pure enjoyment of instructing. . .:rolleyes:

tail wheel endorsements

As far as the FAA is concerned, if you are a CFI and have a tail wheel endorsement in your log book you can give tail wheel instruction and an endorsement for tail wheel to a student. Check the FAR's in part 61 and you will find the training requirements (x-wind, wheel landings etc.) Have him put you on his insurance policy. You are only able to do this instruction in the same catagory and class as your CFI certificate designates.

Bill

CFI, CFII, MEI and Chief Flight Instructor of a flight school.

Thanks Bill

I have to apologize for being so lazy about opening up the FAR sitting on my desk, but I have just been so busy.

There is really no excuse, but it is what is great about this community, ask, and get an answer. . . plus some advice too.

Maybe someday I'll have enough experience to offer up some instruction, it's just a little too soon and I am not sure I could save us if I had to. Sometimes I wonder if I can save myself. . .:eek:

Getting a lot better, but it is a challenge. I did a TO/LDG today with about a 10 kt almost direct x-wind. It is getting a lot better than in the first few hours.

Thanks for your advice too. My partner on -6 is also an ATP/CFII/MEI and we had a long telephone conversation about this. . . Bottom line is, and this is really great advice we should all pay attention to. . . If you just don't feel good about something, you probably shouldn't be doing it. I know, it's simple to say, and sometimes hard to live by, but still sound advice. I don't care if you have 100 hours and you're a Private Pilot or you have 10,000 hours and you're an ATP, you're still covered. And, you're taking (possibly) the first step in breaking the "chain."

Be safe out there this weekend, if anybody is coming to Porterville for Eagle Mountain Airshow, look for me over in the hangars and say hello!