Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to paint my fuselage next week. I have reserved my N number and just verified I am good through June. I don't anticipate getting my AW cert until August or Sept..
Should I assume that reserving the number assures me 100% that it will be the number? Can I pre-register the aircraft prior to AW?
I would sure hate to paint it on and have to take it off:eek:
Thanks

Reservation

I am getting ready to paint my fuselage next week. I have reserved my N number and just verified I am good through June. I don't anticipate getting my AW cert until August or Sept..
Should I assume that reserving the number assures me 100% that it will be the number? Can I pre-register the aircraft prior to AW?
I would sure hate to paint it on and have to take it off:eek:
Thanks

When you reserve an N number, and pay your $10.00, that reservation is good for one year. At the end of that year, you can re-reserve again for another year for another $10.00.

I've had a number reserved for a few years in hopes of building again.

I don't think that you can apply the N number legally until you get your sign off and Airworthiness Cert.

You can apply your N# as soon as you received your official registration which DOES happen before you can get an airworthiness certificate. Thus, you should register your aircraft before you paint if you want the N# painted on the side. The only downside of doing this is that the state tax man might have a letter in the mail to you the next day.

Thanks for the response. I think I found the correct form 8050-88. I filled it out and referenced my reserved N number. I need to get it assigned by the end of next week to not delay the painter. Just tried calling them and they were gone for the day @3:15 local.

Registration and property taxes

The only downside of doing this is that the state tax man might have a letter in the mail to you the next day.

I ran into this in CA since they levy property tax on aircraft. A letter to the tax man explaining it was still being built and had no A/W cert got them off my back.