woodmanrog

Well Known Member
I figure that we are about 3 or so months from our first flight. When is the best time to register the plane? Should we do it now or wait until the plane is completed?

I renewed the registration of my RV6 on Dec 15, 2015. There were no changes and I did it online, where it says the new certificate will be received in 5-7 business days. It took over a month to receive the new certificate.

If you go to the aircraft registration site today (1/30/2016) it states that they are currently processing requests received on 1/4/2016, so they are about a month behind. Just letting you know so you can factor that into your decision.

Do it now. It can take 4-6 weeks to get it, and if you have anything wrong in your application packet, add another 6-8 weeks minimum.

Three months away? I'd send it in. We're about that from inspection on another project, and we had to update the existing registration (some FAA fellow told our partner to register it as soon as he started, about 8 years ago.....silly idea....) to include new names. Went in to OKC about three or four weeks ago, and haven't seen it back yet.

You also need to be in touch with your DAR. Some DARs have specific procedures they use in regard to what you should prepare and when.

I recently registered and received an airworthiness certificate for the latest project and my DAR prepared nearly all the paperwork for me.

The EAA packet is helpful and has a checklist of all the steps needed to work through the process. But many DARs will provide the same info so go ahead and select your DAR and get the ball rolling.

Best wishes for a smooth inspection and Phase One!

Ten days total

Do it now. It can take 4-6 weeks to get it, and if you have anything wrong in your application packet, add another 6-8 weeks minimum.

A new data point, they must be catching up...:)

I sent mine in on April 4th via USPS Priority Mail.

Got the registration back today (4-14-16)

10 days including transit time both ways, actually pretty impressive.

The hardest part was finding an actual typewriter to fill out the form with.

Last edited:
I figure that we are about 3 or so months from our first flight. When is the best time to register the plane? Should we do it now or wait until the plane is completed?

Best time to register is 3 months ago! I got mine back in 3.5 weeks a 2 years ago but if you have any problems there could be long delays! Check, double check, and triple check it before you send it!

The hardest part was finding an actual typewriter to fill out the form with.

I have yet to send this in for the RV-10 kit but will soon. I do not think on has to use a typewriter.

The AC Form 8050-1 that I recently received from the FAA says "...all data should be typewritten or printed". I'm no expert but I think you can print clearly in ink. That is what I did when I registered my Cessna back in 2008.

I have yet to send this in for the RV-10 kit but will soon. I do not think on has to use a typewriter.

The AC Form 8050-1 that I recently received from the FAA says "...all data should be typewritten or printed". I'm no expert but I think you can print clearly in ink. That is what I did when I registered my Cessna back in 2008.

Yes, but the spaces the form gives you is not very big for printing.

One line has your last name, first name, initial and VANS RV-6A - all to fit in a box 3.5 inches by 0.22 inches.

I didn't trust my printing ability to fit that dimension. :)

It's very obvious that the form is designed for a typewriter and it's a pity that the FAA can't update it to PDF like their other forms.

Yes, but the spaces the form gives you is not very big for printing.
One line has your last name, first name, initial and VANS RV-6A - all to fit in a box 3.5 inches by 0.22 inches.
I didn't trust my printing ability to fit that dimension. :)
It's very obvious that the form is designed for a typewriter and it's a pity that the FAA can't update it to PDF like their other forms.

If you are referring to "Aircraft Manufacturer & Model", You are not required to use you full last name, first name and initial. And for model, most people don't use "Vans RV-6A". Most simply use "RV-6A".
Of course you can use anything you wish for model.