Jeff R

Well Known Member
On the 8050-1 form it asks for the aircraft manufacturer and model and for the serial number. For a kit aircraft, I presume the normal response is to put down something like Van's Aircraft RV-9A, S/N 91599. Then you send the form in with your Bill of Sale obtained from Van's.

However, can we not call our airplanes, kit or not, whatever we want? And if we don't call them a Van's Aircraft RV-9A, S/N 91599, but instead a Star Fleet Starship I, S/N 1701, can we do that? And if we want to register our kit thusly, do we still have to send in a Bill of Sale for an airplane with a different name than what we are registering?

I really don't have a problem registering with the kit name, but I am not big on telling the government things that I don't have to tell them, and registering my airplane with a name of my selection is my personal preference.

I'm sure Mel and others will chime in , but you can call your airplane anything you want -- it only needs to match the data plate verbatim or the DAR/inspector will not issue the airworthiness certificate.

You may call your airplane "Model" anything you wish. My personal current ride is an A&M-6.
It's the 6th airplane built by Ann & Mel.

The "Make" will be the name of the primary builder.

The serial number may be anything you wish, as long as it has not already been used by the "builder".

There are a few folks in Oklahoma City that insist that the model and serial number match the "bill of sale". It kinda depends on who opens the envelope.

And like Jamie says, the data plate and 8130-6 must EXACTLY match the registration.

You may call your airplane "Model" anything you wish. .
While that may be accurate...
I think that Vans and the FAA prefer that the model be RV-xy

Otherwise it get difficult to track them..

Your name goes in the builder...