Capflyer

Well Known Member
I know in the past this has been discussed but I cannot find it.

It's time to get my kit registered. Some guys talked about how to fill out the registration forms such that the plane is not registered as a Vans RV7A . The Bill of Sale from Vans clearly shows the "Aircraft Manufacturer & Model" as "RV-7A".

On the Eligibility Statement in box II it asks for the "Model" but also asks for both an "Assigned Serial No" & "Registration Number". What is the registration number as I assume the serial number is my Vans serial number?

The Application for Airworthiness Cert in box 2 for the "Aircraft Builders Name (Make)", then box 3 is the "Aircraft Model Designation"

It would really help to see how others have filled out these forms.

Help? :confused:

Here what worked for me.

Capflyer said:
I know in the past this has been discussed but I cannot find it.

It's time to get my kit registered. Some guys talked about how to fill out the registration forms such that the plane is not registered as a Vans RV7A . The Bill of Sale from Vans clearly shows the "Aircraft Manufacturer & Model" as "RV-7A".

On the Eligibility Statement in box II it asks for the "Model" but also asks for both an "Assigned Serial No" & "Registration Number". What is the registration number as I assume the serial number is my Vans serial number?

The Application for Airworthiness Cert in box 2 for the "Aircraft Builders Name (Make)", then box 3 is the "Aircraft Model Designation"

It would really help to see how others have filled out these forms.

Help? :confused:

I am the manufacture of my plane "BYERLEY KENT D". I used RV9A as my model number and used Vans kit number "90322" as my Serial number. I could have put any number I wanted, for instance maybe I should have place 00001, as it is the first airplane that I had ever built. I think that you can put anything that you want in these fields, but if you built a RV7A from Vans it would make no sense for you to call it a CAP4 or anything else. I am not sure if you might increase your insurance cost by changing the model.
The Registration number is your N number, as in N94KJ.

I takes FAA a long time (4-6 weeks) to process the registration paper work and you will need that before you can get your inspection, so plan ahead.

Kent

I think you need to keep the serial number the same as Van's as that is what the Bill of Sale will show from Van's.
I used the AOPA recommended Title company in Oklahoma and had my registration back in two days. They hand walk it through for about $80 if I remember. They also track the paper flow so if anything gets lost, you dont have the FAA to deal with.

I just did my registration. It took about 3 weeks from when I sent it in to when I received the registration back.

...And the FAA DOES loose paperwork. They "lost" ours for a full month and only "found" it after calling every other day for a week or two. Then we all the sudden had registration that was clearly back dated a month ago. As if it was never lost at all :).

REMINDER

scard said:
...And the FAA DOES loose paperwork. They "lost" ours for a full month and only "found" it after calling every other day for a week or two. Then we all the sudden had registration that was clearly back dated a month ago. As if it was never lost at all :).
And don't forget, It WILL get worse later this year because of the January 31 Light-Sport deadline for "existing aircraft"!

Registration

I received my Bill of Sale from Van's. The amount field was blank. Do we send it in that way? Are we supposed to add the price?

What have others done for this price field?

Carl

RV7-A. Building canopy, Want to fly!!!!

price

The price doesn't matter, mine was blank too, sent it in that way. Got my registration in about four weeks. Call the EAA if you have any questions.

Personalized N Number - $10/year??

Am I to understand correctly from EAA's "Overview of How to Register and Certify Your Homebuilt" site, that I have to pay $10/year to keep my personalized N number?

Step 3: Reserve an N Number (optional; request anytime

... So go ahead and reserve a personalized N number for $10 per year. ...

Do I get a bill from the FAA or do I have to remember to do this?

Thanks,
/\/elson

Yes, $10/yr. Normally you will get a reminder that renewal is due, but don't count on it. In the past they have been lax in this department.

I had my N-Number reserved for a couple of years before I registered the plane. I always got a reminder when it was due for renewal. It can all be done online these days.