Toobuilder

Well Known Member
I have a reserved n number that I'd like to apply to a currently registered E-AB aircraft. The process for this in the certified world is clear, but the Operating Limitations of the Homebuilt confuses things. Since both the registration and the OL have to change N numbers, who do you contact first? Do you get approval to use the number from the registration branch first, then talk to the FSDO for updated OL, or the other way around? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

I have a reserved n number that I'd like to apply to a currently registered E-AB aircraft. The process for this in the certified world is clear, but the Operating Limitations of the Homebuilt confuses things. Since both the registration and the OL have to change N numbers, who do you contact first? Do you get approval to use the number from the registration branch first, then talk to the FSDO for updated OL, or the other way around? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

This..................

Thanks in advance.

Don't forget to also update the Airworthiness Certificate from the FSDO. Do NOT request a new Airworthiness Certificate or they may want to do a complete inspection.

:cool:

This can be done 2 ways.

If there are no other changes to be made to the op lims, you can do a "replacement".

If there are other changes, such as changing the flight test area, or update the op lims to the current version, then you will need to do a "amended".
Neither requires a new inspection.

The aircraft MUST have a current "condition inspection."

Your local FSDO or a DAR holding function codes 33 and 46 can do either.

Either way requires that the new number be assigned to the aircraft by FAA registration branch first.

Last edited:
The easiest way to verify everything is to call your local FSDO & ask them the process. Some will want to give just a new airworthiness, some new Airworthiness and Op Lims, etc. You will need to get a letter back from the registration branch first authorizing you to change it.