Mel

Legacy Member
Mentor
Just a heads-up. If you think you will get your airplane done by the end of this year, you need to think about sending in your registration NOW. Right now registration in Oklahoma City is somewhat normal. However, the deadline for "grandfathered" E-LSA is January 31, 2008, so toward the end of the year, there will most likely be long delays. Also, when you fill out the paperwork, make sure to get everything right. If everything is right, you should get it back in 2-4 weeks. If there is ANYTHING wrong, delays can easily run into months.

Just to add a little tip for others: Some time ago, there was a bit of discussion about registering with a "model" specification different than Van's. There is a little snafu with that. The Bill of Sale from Vans specifies a "Model: RV-9A" on the original document from them. Then, when you specify "Model: My9A" on the other paperwork, there is an obvious mismatch. My paperwork came right back from the FAA requesting clarification about the model discrepancy. It must clearly all match, so it seems that either one must request a different Bill of Sale from Vans (seems unlikely), or stick with Vans model. How did others do this that have a different model number (Mel)?

I don't remember Van's listing the model on my BOS. My airplane is registered as an A&M-6 (Ann & Mel's 6th airplane). I have registered several airplanes with the models being different from the kit manufacturer and it has never been questioned. Most of the airplanes I built have been modified and in this case, the kit manufacturer prefers that you change the model. The closest I have ever come to using the kit manufacturer's model was my Moni Motorglider. I simply called it a "Modified Moni".

When didyou get the bill of sale from Van's, Scott? I've bought all of my kits already and didn't see anything that looked like a bill of sale. Maybe I just missed what I was seeing.

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
When didyou get the bill of sale from Van's, Scott? I've bought all of my kits already and didn't see anything that looked like a bill of sale. Maybe I just missed what I was seeing.

You have to call Van's and request the Bill of Sale be sent to you.

Easy Registration

The AOPA is hooked up with a Title company directly in Ok City. For $85, they walk your paper work directly into the FAA office, past the clerks, and right into the appropriate department. Get the documenation kit from the EAA, your Bill of Sale from Van's, call AOPA or go to the WEB site to get connected to this company. They will also follow up on the process directly with the FAA if you want to know what is going on. You can not do this yourself.
I recieved my registration in about one week. Prompt, courteous, knowledgable, and well worth the money.

I just did what you have mentioned, however here is the difference. On your form 8050-1 list the manufacturer as you, followed by your choice of model number. List the serial number as that assigned by Van's, per the bill of sale. One the third form that is notarized, list the model number as per the 8050-1 with the same serial number as you put on the 8050-1 (and same one listed on the bill of sale). I was told mine has been processed and the FAA uses any two of three, model on the bill of sale, model listed on the 8050-1 and the serial number. Just make sure the model number you choose on the 8050-1 is the same as what you put on the notarized form and use the Van's assigned serial number and you are good to go. Mine is registered as a DO-7 with my builder number as the serial number and my reserved N number, 727BM (Black Magic) assigned.

scard said:
Just to add a little tip for others: Some time ago, there was a bit of discussion about registering with a "model" specification different than Van's. There is a little snafu with that. The Bill of Sale from Vans specifies a "Model: RV-9A" on the original document from them. Then, when you specify "Model: My9A" on the other paperwork, there is an obvious mismatch. My paperwork came right back from the FAA requesting clarification about the model discrepancy. It must clearly all match, so it seems that either one must request a different Bill of Sale from Vans (seems unlikely), or stick with Vans model. How did others do this that have a different model number (Mel)?

Yep, that is exactly what we did. We got different results from the FAA. Looks like mine is going to be a model: RV-9A. I really don't care, as long as it flies sometime this year ;).

I have one more snafu to add to the saga of registration and the "Bill of Sale":
Note that the "Aircraft bill of sale" that Vans sends out must be modified to read "Kit bill of sale" per the FAA

Strike two . :eek:

Interesting...my bill of sale did have 'aircraft' redacted and 'kit' stamped on it. Not sure why yours doesn't. I got my registration in about 2 weeks, give or take a couple of days.

2007-03-23.1998.jpeg

incomplete Registration form 8050-1 delays registraion

I am getting ready to do my 42nd DAR Airworthiness Inspection on an amateur built aircraft. This is the 2nd aircraft for me to have a DELAY in getting its 8050-3 Registration back from Oklahoma City. The owner did NOT print his name under his signature. This is the 2nd time that I have seen an application returned in the past year.

If you go to the FAA Registry Forms web page, the last paragraph says:

"Your application for aircraft registration must include the typed or printed name of each signer in the signature block. We will return any applications that do not include the printed or typed name of the signer."

I hope that this post saves time for those getting your registration completed. Hopefully it will save some DAR like me from sitting on your application till the registration gets to the airplane. I will NOT do an airworthiness inspection and issue an airworthiness certificate (8130-7) till the 8050-3 registration is in your possession.