erich weaver

Well Known Member
Patron
Made a few calls to inquire about the details of registering and insuring my almost completed RV while providing a unique model name and serial number. Joe Norris at EAA confirmed what many here already know - as the builder, you can use any model name and serial number you want on the registration form. He cautioned that this might trigger insurance problems however, so I talked to Jim Nelson at Falcon, since I have not seen this directly adddressed on VAF before. Jim assured me that using a unique model name on the registration will not hinder my ability to get insurance or recover a claim, as long as the aircraft actually IS an RV. The policy will be written indicating that the plane is an RV.

Still havent decided which way Im going on this, but thought I would share the info.

regards

erich

Last edited:
Erich,
Using a unique model should not be an insurance problem.
I've been flying my "A&M-6" for over 14 years. Avemco and now AIG neither had a problem with the model name.

What the FAA says....

Mel said:
Erich,
Using a unique model should not be an insurance problem.
I've been flying my "A&M-6" for over 14 years. Avemco and now AIG neither had a problem with the model name.
Mel,
I know the wording here is "should"... but don't you think we should follow the FAA recommendations of AC 20-27 E?
Provided we are not making any major modifications to the design....

b. The information placed on an amateur-built aircraft identification plate must include the name of the amateur builder (not the designer, plans producer, or kit manufacturer), the model designation, and the serial number of the aircraft. The model designation and serial number may be whatever number the builder wishes to assign, if the aircraft is of the builder's own design and not used to identify any other aircraft. If the aircraft is built from a kit or plans, the builder should use the identification information provided by the kit manufacturer or plans designer. All information should agree with the information submitted on AC Form 8050-88.

AC 20-27E

gil in Tucson