David Paule

Well Known Member
Some of the parts of my RV-3B kit came without powder-coating. The control stick is one of them. I'd prefer a light color for this, but had a concern that they might reflect off the canopy. I used to own an airplane with a white interior that had lots of canopy/windshield reflections, quite annoying - but it was a different configuration cockpit than this.

Do light colors for things like this show up as reflections on the canopy?

Thanks!

Dave

Interior colors

I used Boeing "cockpit grey", a light,flat grey that was the standard in most Boeings for many years,in my -4. I have been very happy with my choice, as its cool in the sun, neutral in color and easy to touch up. I used Aeroflex water base, and it is very durable. Ther is going to be some reflection from any color depending on sunlight, but I have never experienced any undesireable/tolerable conditions.I have flown in light tan interior tandems, and found them suitable also.

As a photographer I would love it if aircraft interiors were all painted flat black, and pilots and passengers were issued black flight suits before strapping in. Unfortunately that makes it rather toasty in the cockpit.

But in my experience, even black can reflect when the sun is at the right angle. Best thing you can do is to use as dark a colour as you're happy with, and if you do end up with a reflection, make a course correction.