Nomex Maximus

Well Known Member
Those of you watching the classifieds know that I have sold my RV-7A kit. And so ends the dream of building and flying an RV. Here are some thoughts on the experience.

I had just become a pilot having completed my training in California in 2005. Times were rosey - high paying job, real estate prices kept going up and up, and a home equity loan was no problem in order to finance the kit. I even had a hangar for a time in Tracy - I never actually used it for anything other than storing the empty crates the kit came in, but I had high hopes. I was expecting that I'd be putting in 20 - 30 hours each week on the kit and that I'd be flying in a few months. Of course, I didn't budget renovating the garage into a workshop and the delays that would cause.

But then came a relocation for a new job. Time was spenting relocating the kit from the garage to a storage locker in California, then the delay while I moved and settled, and the delay while I found a new house. Then the move from California to Michigan, three days cross country truck driving to a storage locker in Michigan. Then the delay of renovating the basement into a workshop complete with installing a double wide door to get the airplane in and out. Finally, the kit was moved into the basement and a little empennage work got restarted. It was by then two years since I bought the kit.

Then, longing to get flying again and sick of renting airplanes, I joined Civil Air Patrol - and there went all my remaining free time. I did get an occasional spurt of energy and worked some more on the empennage but I had no real drive to get it done. I got the horizontal stabilizer mostly done, the vertical stabilizer came out pretty well, then the rudder was mostly done but I left off an important part and I had to rethink how to correct the error. I delayed a bit and started some work on the elevators, but that was about the last I did anything on the kit. Job complications, a layoff, and new work that took me all over the country made working on the kit impossible. It sat in the basement taking up space and literally gathering dust.

I toyed with the idea of taking it with me to a job assignment keeping it in a hangar and working on it in the evenings while I was away from the family - but the job situation was too volatile and I abandoned that idea. Plus, finances were no longer what they had been - getting a loan for the remainng $40,000 needed to complete was unwise. Time to admit defeat and move on. I posted on VAF classifieds and came to an agreement to sell the kit.

Am I done building airplanes? No, I don't think so. What I most think I learned from the RV experience is that it just takes too much time to build an RV (or most any kit airplane). Expecting the average builder to be able to set aside 1,000 to 2,000 hours to build is just not reasonable for a lot of people. I like many RV builders was overly optimistic about the time required and my ability to put forth the effort. I kept thinking that somehow, it would only take me 700 or 800 hours since after all, I bought the QB kit. My estimation now is that the QB kit doesn't so much save you time as it gives you a higher quality wings and fuselage. Even with the QB kit, I really think now that this kit would have taken me about 1,500 hours still to go. At least that much.

I actually do want to build an airplane eventually. But I want to design an airplane that is much easier to build - one that can be put together in about 200 hours of time. When I look at some of the things I was doing to get the RV built, I think "Gee this is a lot of work for not much results. Why did Vans make this so difficult?" (consider how much work you spent just putting stiffeners in your elevators and you may see what I mean). An airplane kit needs to be simpler to build - better more detailed instructions, simpler processes, trade off some performance for easier construction.

Ultimately, I just want to fly. That the RV could have given me some outraegeous speed and climb and it would have been nice, but I really would have been happier with 130 knots and 1000 fpm climb and a utility class airplane if it meant I was flying it three or four years sooner.

I did learn a lot about airplanes from trying to build the RV. But, if I ever do it again, I think I can design something way easier to build. I guess we will see.

Best of luck to you all. If you are building an RV, you have my repsect - it's a great airplane.

--JCB

sorry it didn't work out for you.

There are flyers and there are builders. And I think sometimes the flyers think they can do it fast. When in truth only repeat builders can add the speed to the equation. Lots of people over estimate their abilities and under estimate the actual commitment required(both time and money). Also trying to give a time estimate based on working on the tail for a bit may skew your numbers.

I find Vans build estimate to be spot on. I'm getting close on my -7 QB and have roughly 1000hrs in the shop. If I could dump my paying job for a month, I'd be able to finish this thing now. Calendar time is another story, my 2yr build schedule has been stretched to over 3.5yrs...:eek:...

Fact is you can buy one of these cheaper than you can build it if you're in a hurry.

Would I build another hotrod QB RV-7? probably not. But a light, simple, slow build RV-9a or a RV-10 family machine might find shop space some day. Go VANS!

Your experience may vary

Interesting as I have had the opposite experience. We are building a -3B QB and I am amazed that two very busy people who have also re-modeled two rooms and a hallway since starting the build, both commonly working more than 40-hours a week and one working 120 miles from home have already mounted the tailfeathers in about 9 months. (Of course, most of the empennage was already built in our 2nd hand kit.) My biggest concern at this point is that we are rushing towards a bunch of expenses (e.g., avionics, engine, and prop) much faster than I expected.

My lesson, the actual build time is much quicker than I understood but the "unbillable" hours are huge, particularly for a first-timer. I'm very lucky to have a "repeat offender" as a partner-mentor so we have almost all the tools we need and he knows the tricks and puzzles through the difficult parts. He generally sees the problems coming long before we hit them so we haven't hit a serious roadblock. Of course, it helps that neither of us have a spouse that thinks it's unusual to spend a 4-day holiday weekend working on the project. :D

As an Engineer by day, I have been impressed with the drawings and instructions that Van's provides in their kits these days. I dont believe you could condense an airplane like this down in time or simplicity anymore than they already do with the QB kit. I will admit there are times when I find myself scratching my head and wonder why they left boring, time consuming, menial tasks for me, as the builder, to do? But you have to understand where they are coming from...the more I do, the cheaper the kit will be. If I want more of those tasks already completed, I can get the QB and pay more money. Its all about the time/money equation. Although I am very much enjoying the building process and I'm ok with doing the slow build first time out...make no mistake about it, building one of these is "work" and anyone who gets into this thinking it is going to be all fun and games is going to be rudely awakened. After an 8 hr workday, couple hrs of commute time and then 3 hrs in the shop working on the plane...its a long day.

From the sounds of what you want, maybe you should look at the Carbon Cub kit. A little pricy, but lots less build time and slower cruise speeds.

One good thing about our struggling economy. You can get an RV for about what it cost to build it. You may just want to go that route. My next RV will be built by someone else. I didn't enjoy building as much as many do. I do however really enjoy flying it.

i think you'll appreciate not borrowing money to finish the toy, I feel bad for a lot of folks who I see making this decision, I also don't understand betting your home on your airplane, come up with the cash and spend it if you can, as you go

Build experiences will vary, that's for certain. I agree with Hydroguy, there are flyers, and there are builders. I am definitely a builder, completely in love with my project and I've already picked out a HRII as my next one. I'm not breaking any speed records on mine, about halfway through the fuse and 2.5 years into the build, but I'm still steady at it after 2 job changes and a divorce, never stopped.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, buildling is my therapy, my version of golf, my way of relaxing after a crappy day at work. Instead of kicking the dog, yelling at the wife/girlfriend, drinking too much and watching TV, I just go build something.

You're declaring what we "need" based on your experience, when the audience has completed 4000-6000 of them?

Thoughts...

As I come into the homestretch of my build...its a good time to look back. It is WAY more work than I would have thought going in. But...I have met dozens if not hundreds or really great people from all over the world, added Oshkosh to my family yearly vacation plans and have my kids at 10,12 doing school projects on building an airplane. Is it frustrating...yes, does it make you crazy that you waste days on stupid stuff that a factory could turn out in seconds, yes. Everytime I read Bob Collins blogs, I laugh...he thinks and suffers just like me. But at work I manage a lot of assets for a lot of very well to do people. I absolutely did not have the skills to do fiberglass, metal, fab parts, wiring or engine work. I have learned so much and have basically enjoyed it all. I have spend hundreds of days working side by side my father in law (that we almost lost last summer) and that in itself is worth a fair buck. I explained to my wife just recently that the electrical and aeroelectric connection was like calculus in high school,but I cant switch classes or just drop it. I hate it but I will force myself to learn and do it and be better for getting through to the other side no matter how long it takes. Life is good. I do wish Vans helped us with a little better plans, I wish Dan C didnt kill his website, I wish Smitty was further along so I could still be freeloading off his site......and I wish a crappy spam can to stay current didnt cost $175/hr, but...in the scope of things can you really complain. What a great world when we can find time and money to build a great plane like this.

Cant wait to finish...what an adventure and I wouldnt change it for anything. Would I recommend it..not sure...am I glad I did it. You bet. Your mission may vary.

Good luck

Last edited:
The RV-12 seems like it goes together about as fast as any kit plane out there. But your still looking at 60K+. Why not find a partner and buy a used RV-6? There are many out there in the 50 - 60K range. Don't give up, they are way to nice of an airplane and you won't find another as inexpensive to own and operate (that goes 150+ knots). Good luck.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=59951

Last edited by a moderator:
<snip>

I actually do want to build an airplane eventually. But I want to design an airplane that is much easier to build - one that can be put together in about 200 hours of time. When I look at some of the things I was doing to get the RV built, I think "Gee this is a lot of work for not much results. Why did Vans make this so difficult?" (consider how much work you spent just putting stiffeners in your elevators and you may see what I mean). An airplane kit needs to be simpler to build - better more detailed instructions, simpler processes, trade off some performance for easier construction.

<snip>

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. Unfortunately, I doubt it's realistic to build an airplane in about 200 hours of time (and still qualify as EAB). If my experience is typical, the effort gets easier as you go. It took me several months to originally complete my horizontal stabilizer. Later, when mating it to the fuselage, I screwed up the drilling. Nothing to do but drill out 500+ rivets (complete disassembly), replace some components (fixing the screwup), reprime (my original priming was awful), redimple (I got better at this, too), and reassembly only took a week. Repeat offenders could probably do it in even less time.

Like Pierre has in his signature line: It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so. - Patrick Kenny, EAA 275132

Whether you end up buying, building, or designing, I wish you the best.

How many times..........

did I sit by myself frustrated, wanting to give up? Not knowing whether I could even learn to fly it if I ever finished it. Before I moved it to Conroe, I worked on it everyday in a low ceiling tin hangar by myself, in August it was generally about 110+ in that hangar, not to say I had to drive 100 miles a day just to work on it. I would go for days without ever seeing anyone, I think I could have died in that hangar and no one would have even known for about a week.

Was it worth it? You bet it was! Very close to getting my PPL in it. Just never give up, and never give up and never, never give up. Life's rule #4.

The people I have met in this adventure are worth any hardship or sacrafice. They are the "Best of the Best".

I can understand the angst. After all, it took me 14 years to get through my first kit. And I agree with other posters in that every builder will have a different experience. Heck, my experience varied at different points in the building process. But I think the telling point was the phrase "I had no real drive to get it done." This, in my opinion, is what separates the builders from the buyers. By the way, that's not to cast aspersions on aviators who are not builders; everybody enjoys aviation in their own way. But to ask why Van made it so difficult when he (and his company) has progressively made it easier and easier makes it seem like something has been missed. Van's original offerings were plans-built, as were most of the homebuilts of the day. His kits are, as advertised, able to be built with average skills. There are simpler projects available, but nothing with the capabilities of an RV. And then there's that 51% rule; you can't legally get much simpler than a quick-build kit. So it seems wrong to me that you point the finger at Van's kit and say it should be easier and quicker. I think it would be more honest to assess your drive to build and realize that you would be happier with a production aircraft or a purchased homebuilt. Then you can move on and enjoy aviation in the way best suited to yourself without all the angst.

It's all about prioritizing your time

I've started (and completed) two airplanes.

The first was a Fisher Flying Products Dakota Hawk - all wood construction and covered in fabric. The kit supplied the wood milled to shape. I had to cut and jig and glue. The instructions were 33 pages long - just long enough to say "glue everything together until it looks like an airplane, and then go fly it". And so for 4 1/2 years, that's what I did. I (like you) got laid off, made another voluntary job change, and moved cross-country from Texas to Washington. My fuselage kit savings account paid our living expenses while I was laid off and looking for new work. I had to put off any progress for awhile until I got back on my feet. I've been flying my Dakota Hawk since 2002.

The second was my RV-7. When I got the bug to build again, I went at it with a vengeance. I also purchased a run-out IO-360 and rebuilt it (with a lot of help from an A&P buddy), and I also painted my RV myself. It took me 3 1/2 years to build my "slo-build" RV-7 from first kit to final paint.

Both planes were (mostly) paid for as I went - I tried to avoid credit most of the time. Both planes were built in my shop. My family came first. My church and work obligations took priority. I still took time to go camping, visit distant family, gather with friends, go flying and mow the lawn. (OK, one of these things is a lie - can you tell which one???) And finally, I always welcomed anyone to my shop. My kids came out to see what Dad was doing. My wife came out to encourage me. Friends visited to see what an "RV" was. The local Boy Scout troop came out to see how a plane was built. The local Cub Scout pack came out because there were cookies and pop.

I guess the point is - is that it doesn't take a Superman to build an RV. It just takes a mindset. If you want to build - you'll figure out how to make the time to do it. There are no shortcuts! On the other hand, if you just want a plane that looks great and flys fast - go buy one and go flying!

Finally, you said one thing that I respect.
getting a loan for the remainng $40,000 needed to complete was unwise. Time to (deleted) move on.
These planes are TOYS! Oh sure, some of us use them extensively for business travel, or to visit far away places. Some of us save airfare by flying our own planes. But they're still just toys. If you can't afford the toys in the current financial market, then hold off until you can afford it. It just doesn't make sense to put yourself in hock for a toy.

I hope that, someday, you are able to build your simplified airplane.

having just completed the 5.5 year project called HB-YMT i feel somewhat qualified to comment ;-) -7A QB. always had a life besides.

persistence, persistence, persistence is the absolute key.
no matter what happens, gets in your way or however your life changes, you just have to make sure that the RV is always a part of it and "keep pounding rivets" ;-) eventually it will be done. you just have to maintain motivation levels.
and as others have said, it doesn't require superman skills... probably took us just a bit longer than it would have taken one of the rv pro's. we stopped counting hours and i'm pretty sure we're way over all the estimates. on the other hand, some of that is "homegrown" with certain construction choices, however loved (almost) every minute of it.
also, you have to have realistic expectations. in our case, this was always going to take 5 years and well beyond 100k$. we're about the first experimental builders (at least that i know of around here) that weren't twice over budget regarding time and money.

IMHO, this is not something predictable to the point that i would ever think about getting a loan for it. completion time, resale value etc... too many variables involved. pay as you go.
i admire people's guts who choose other routes, i really do. maybe the money pressure/importance is driving them to the finish line *G*

just my 50cts

rgds, bernie

We're all so different

It's amazing how each one of us has different building experiences. When I first opened the build manual I took one look and decided I'd never ever understand it, then I thought 'why not give it a try?' so I set off on this very long journey and in the end, one which I have thoroughly enjoyed. Yes there have been big frustations, yes it has taken much longer than I thought, probably because I'm too anal but that's just me. It has cost more than I envisaged, not least because the amount of times I have redone something I wasn't happy with, even if it meant buying new parts ! Despite this, there hasn't been a moment that I haven't looked forward to going into my garage whenever the opportunity arose and now I'm getting close to the end I'm starting to wonder just exactly what I'm going to do with myself when it's all over, even friends & neighbours are asking me that question. So in the end you learn lots of new skills and you end up with a fantastic aeroplane that should last a lifetime but more important, you make lots of new & very genuine friends. Was it worth it? you bet it was but I respect that it's not for everyone

I think you were lucky

I'm sorry for you that the decision to build an RV did not work out as you had hoped. We all have our own perspective developed by our life experience up to the point when we make a decision. I suspect there was a strong lesson learned by you during the purchase and build attempt and you were able to off-load the albatross after gaining some more life experience - I think you were lucky.

I worked in aerospace for 50 years and I have a pretty good sense of quality of design. In my opinion the RV series of airframes are flawless. I am obviously at a different station in life span and I do not consider my RV-6A a toy or a novelty. It took me 8 years to complete my QB using every talent I had and acquiring those that I didn't have. It is a beauty. I retired 6 years ago and I continue to stretch my imagination and ability to make the airplane faster - I have no other technical goals in life - it fulfills my needs. I am currently struggling with an upgrade to it's NAV system because of connector access difficulty but I got the two audio panel wires connected today after several days of struggle, back-off, rethink, try a different approach with a new technique, tool or more disassembly. It is not for the faint of heart. I plan to have it ready for the AirVenture Cup cross country air race to Oshkosh in less than three weeks but the work will hopefully go on for many years.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
For me, the building process spanned 9 years. This was mainly because we refused to go into debt for the plane. I chose to build as a form of mental therapy...a way to keep my brain and spirit happy when I would have otherwise been sucked dry mentally by my day job. My wife, being a pretty sharp gal, understood that I needed a change and the project was just what the Dr. ordered...
The RV is a great way to dodge/postpone a midlife crisis. The best part of the project without a doubt has been the wonderful people that I have come to call my friends over the years. I would not have met these people had I sat at home watching TV and wasted away...
Soon my RV-8 journey will be over as I will be forced to sell my gal due to a looming medical issue that will drop me down to Light Sport. One of you lucky folks may end up with my -8 soon and I hope that she is a ship of dreams for you as she has been for me...
I have already secured permission from the boss to start the RV-12 just as soon as I catch up on some long-neglected projects around the house. About the only useful bit of advice that I have for new builders is to never view the project as an airplane...you will go nuts. Instead, view the project on a day by day basis- today I am building a seat pan...tomorrow I am building a control stick. Before too many years go by, you will have an airplane.

Just a few comments on a kit that would be easier to build. I think everyone admits that building isn't for everyone, and that persistence is key to a successful build. But there are so many things that go into a successful kit, and by any measure, Van's has that covered.

About 20 years ago I worked with an engineer that developed a kit that was very easy to build. It was a single place, VW powered low wing taildragger. I never flew the prototype, but I guess it flew OK, if not spectacularly. He would go to an EAA meeting and demo putting the fuselage together (to about what we would call the "roll the canoe" stage) in ONE HOUR! The key element was aluminum and balsa sandwich sides. I just couldn't believe how little interest people had in it.

Then I took a critical look at it. It was UGLY! His control systems were a bit unorthodox. It was ugly. The gear was way over-engineered; it would jump a curb at fast taxi--who cared? It was open cockpit. And did I mention it was ugly? It died a slow death.

We must chose what we want to fly, and pay the price for it. There are plenty of choices out there. If "quick build" is a necessity, shop accordingly. You just won't end up flying a Van's.

Bob Kelly

getting a little "tired"...

Well, for me, its been almost 4 years working on a slow build -9A.

Not everybody is cut out for this. If I had to change jobs, move, etc I don't think I would've been able to forge ahead on it.

I'm getting ready to fit the wings this week and maybe do an engine start this weekend.

I have to admit I'm a little tired but not quite burned out. I'm just ready for it to end.

I told my wife I'm tired of doing "hard"; I want to do "easy" for a while.

All the guys here on the forum who have finished & done their first flight say all the work is worth it.

Its been interesting and fun at times but I don't think I'll be a "repeat offender";)

Dave
-9A almost there..

Still Dream'n

My RV7A is called Dream?n. Your story pulls my heart strings as I can read into it frustration and disappointment. I hope you have some other direction that will lift your sole, give you peace, and get you flying.:)

For me the building was what kept my hopes alive. The N number is 430PM, the time I got off work to head for the shop/garage/hangar to build. I quit building for one year and spent the time on the house. I lost jobs, moved twice, hit financial trouble and other problems we all run into. The Dream?n was one place that I could go to just work and claim as my space. It gave me satisfaction to see progress made. This is one place no one called me anal when the dog and I spent all night ?getting it right?. At times felt that project completion was out of reach. I find myself somewhat surprised to be flying today. I don?t know exactly where I got the money, how my kids and wife, brother, and friends all put up this, but they are now very proud and bring their friends to see. They point out dad?s plane, or interject with ?and he built it himself?, or ?I helped with the rivets? or ?That is me in the nose art?. Wow, who would have thought it?

When I used to sail we had a saying ?If you are not having fun, You are not having fun.? I say enjoy the build, or as you have done go ahead and walk away for a while. If you are in the area (Seattle S36) look me up and ask for a ride. There is a good chance I will be out in the hangar and glad to find an excuse to take her up again. You may decide to start building again, who knows.

Good deal Toad. I've been hesitant to respond to this thread but....After having built Black Magic and sitting in the garage so many times on my 5 gallon bucket hoping, and it really was hope, that I would be able to finish her, I did finish her and enjoyed so much the time I spent with my son's, Philip and Brian, working on her and spending really some quality time together, them growing up and me seeing a dream, no matter how many times I thought it was only a dream, move along though divorce, new job, new house. There was always one constant, when I was with Black Magic, I felt at home, nothing but perfect, no "that's good enough". I look back and cherish the times I just sat in the garage, by myself looking at her and dreaming. For the "oldtimers" on VAF who know of my having to build her a second time, I couldn't help myself, you know just how much I loved flying that airplane. After having to sell her to battle with the health insurance companies, I wasn't even able to get back on VAF, and where I had a chance to meet so many wonderful friends, for a long time, it was like something so precious to me had been removed. I can't tell you how many times when I was flying her, I would look out and and think about when Philip and Brian and I installed that aileron and measured the thread on that rod end bearing. I guess what I am trying to say, there is a satisfaction, from hearing Philip say to his now new bribe, "Dad built this", when he could have just as well said, "Me and Dad built this". Little would, and should he (and is now an MD:D), know just how much the second comment was correct. If you don't like to build, that's fine because you are flying one of the most fun, and predictable, airplane out there..have fun but I don't need to tell you to do so. If you are building, keep pounding, after you fly you RV, you will kick yourself in the butt for not finishing her sooner. Why am I a repeat offender.....don't ask if you don't have the time to listen.

choices in life:

There is no reason to give up the dream of flying RVs. BUY ONE. There are a lot of them for sale. Every person is not a builder. In fact, do not build to fly, build to build. There is, a difference.
I HAD to build, there were not many RVs to buy in 1995. I have over 2200 RV hours flying,,,, fun times. I've Built 4 RVs two 6s and 2 RV8s. I loved all of them, and the building times too.
I have wanted a Bear Hawk bush plane for some years, I am going to be 64 this year,,,,sooo,,,, I just bought a Cassna 180, I figure time flying the 180 is better spent than building the Bear Hawk. I get to help others build and do not need to build for my self now.
Life choices matter, do what pleases you, be happy. I hope to see you out there flying.