AlexPeterson

Well Known Member
Caution: Nerd Alert!!

These things may look stupid, but it is amazing how much more comfortable bright day flying is. They are basically what glacier glasses have, and I made these a couple years ago from some scrap leather. Very simple, won't win fashion awards (darn). I keep a set in the plane, and need to make some for the boat.
photo090907002mp3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I was looking for some when I last bought sun-glasses. I'd actually use them all the time. My eyes are very sensible to sunlight, I don't care how uncool I look, I want to stay confortable and to be able to read in a few years. I ended up with glasses that are close enough to the eyes and sort of wrap arround so that I'm protected.
How much peripheral vision do you lose? I should buy some new glases, there is a slight scratch in mine.

Neat idea Alex!

I have noticed a real problem as eyeglass fashion has trended to smaller and smaller glasses in the past half-decade or so - much poorer protection from bright sunlight. My good sunglasses do tend to wrap around a bit and keep things darker, but when I use clip-ons that match the shape of my regular wear, I get so much light spilling in from around the edges that my irises don't know what to do - and it can actually hurt after awhile.

I'm hoping that the pendulum will swing back the other way and in a few years we can wear our great big aviator glasses again without being ridiculed....;)

Head for a drugstore and buy a pair of the big bug-eye wrap arounds meant for wearing over eyeglasses. I have the usual clipons for daily wear, but the "old fart" glasses are much better for driving and flying.

Rant Alert:

Ironflight said:
Neat idea Alex!

I have noticed a real problem as eyeglass fashion has trended to smaller and smaller glasses in the past half-decade or so - much poorer protection from bright sunlight. My good sunglasses do tend to wrap around a bit and keep things darker, but when I use clip-ons that match the shape of my regular wear, I get so much light spilling in from around the edges that my irises don't know what to do - and it can actually hurt after awhile.

I'm hoping that the pendulum will swing back the other way and in a few years we can wear our great big aviator glasses again without being ridiculed....;)

Paul, this "small sunglasses syndrome" is yet another example of our society's general technical dumbing down. The whole purpose of sunglasses used to be to provide protection and comfort, yet the new "fashionable" sunglasses are just the opposite. They cause the pupils to get larger, such that the peripheral light can get in easier to damage the eyes. I had one set of normal glasses with "custom" clip ons - how worthless. End of rant.

AlexPeterson said:
Paul, this "small sunglasses syndrome" is yet another example of our society's general technical dumbing down. The whole purpose of sunglasses used to be to provide protection and comfort, yet the new "fashionable" sunglasses are just the opposite. They cause the pupils to get larger, such that the peripheral light can get in easier to damage the eyes. I had one set of normal glasses with "custom" clip ons - how worthless. End of rant.
Smaller glasses do have one benefit - prescription glasses are lighter. If you have a high correction (> 5 dioptres) , small glasses with high refractive index materials are the way to go (unless you can get LASIK done).

TODR

We use these in trap shooting all the time (as well as other shooting sports). If you dont feel like making a set, any good shooters supply or target range should have them.

In fact... marketing idea for Doug - These are usually made from card stock with gunpowder, ammunition or gun maker logos on them. The same idea could be done with the VAF logo on them.

Nice try, Alex. For those like myself who are concerned about loss of peripheral vision using those, I like Uvex safety glasses. They have sun shade inserts with side protection. I wear them always while bicycling, & thye not only provide great protection, but also excellent and extremely important peripheral vision.

For those whose eyes are sensitive to strong sunlight, I have found that is frequently caused by vitamin a deficiency. When I had better teeth, I ate 1 raw organic carrot each meal., and had very good vision plus could work outside comfortably without sunglasses, excepting for around bright clouds, haze, light sand, snow, & etc.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, nor am I attempting to diagnose any disease or prescribe any remedy therefore. For medical diagnosis and treatment, check with a qualified medical professional.
I am merely sharing my experiences for others who may be interested.

For about 20 years, I have been using safety glasses I picked up at a welding supply store. They come in various lenses----mirror, smoked, etc. lens is replaceable, and they cost is very reasonable.

http://www.hlbouton.com/hlb8100.html

My eye doc says that they are very good in UV protection, and also optically very distortion free.

Take a look at zennioptical.com. Large selection of glasses & some sunglasses on the cheap. Reports are that they are as good as the ones you get from the name brand chains. For wraparounds, go to their links for goggles, which start at $36 for prescription glasses, including lenses & frames. Aviators start at $8.00 and go up to titaniums with lenses and frames, $40.

I just heard about this website a couple weeks ago from a consumer guru on the radio, along with feedback from listeners. Wish I had heard before I spent $250 at Costco.

RScott
RV-9A Wings
1941 Interstate Cadet

Prescription Sunglasses

I think the shades protecting perhipery vision and preventing sunlight from entering the eye are for the pilots who have prescription sunglasses. Great idea. I will put this on my "to do" list along with the neat sun shades also shown by a builder to block the sun. The only problem is I am spending too much time making all this neat "optional" stuff and not finishing the "last 10%".

RV 7A Finishing
Painting

Joel said:
Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, nor am I attempting to diagnose any disease or prescribe any remedy therefore. For medical diagnosis and treatment, check with a qualified medical professional.
I am merely sharing my experiences for others who may be interested.
Must be a lawyer :p

RScott said:
Take a look at zennioptical.com. Large selection of glasses & some sunglasses on the cheap. Reports are that they are as good as the ones you get from the name brand chains. For wraparounds, go to their links for goggles, which start at $36 for prescription glasses, including lenses & frames. Aviators start at $8.00 and go up to titaniums with lenses and frames, $40.

I just heard about this website a couple weeks ago from a consumer guru on the radio, along with feedback from listeners. Wish I had heard before I spent $250 at Costco.

RScott
RV-9A Wings
1941 Interstate Cadet

Holly &%*#!! What looks to be the same glasses I paid almost $300 for several years ago can be replaced for $40. I wanted to replace my lenses anyway because they are scratched up, so I just ordered a pair. We'll see how they last - what have I got to loose but $40... :rolleyes: