petehowell

Well Known Member
I got a call Thursday night from Rocket and warbird driver Doug Rozendaal in Mason City. Knowing that I like to take pictures and write stories he asked if I would like to go to Dallas on Saturday so he could pick up the P51-C for the CAF at South St. Paul. (it was wintering at the Cavanaugh Air Museum)

My schedule was iffy for Saturday, so I told Doug I would make some calls for him and on the first call, RV-7A builder Bernie Weiss said he was game for an adventure. Bernie and Doug made plans for the trip and late on Friday, my schedule freed up. Since there were now 3 of us on the trip down, we went to the RV-Heavy (Bernie's Bonanza). It is a better photo platform, and a more comfortable travelling machine, too.

We left early and headed to Mason City to pick up Doug. Bernie leans the big Conti as the sun rises behind him.
IMG_9790.JPG

The wind was howling out of the north, so we were soon turning downwind for 30 at MCW.
IMG_9804.JPG

Second Stop - Muskogee, OK for gas and to meet one of Doug's airshow friends, Mike Anderson. Good airplane people there. I snuck in the hangar and found 2 warbirds - this is the cockpit of of an SNJ-5 painted in Japanese colors - I'm pretty sure the Dynon, the 396, and dual SL-40s are not historically correct, but very much appreciated by the pilots!
IMG_9845.JPG

I rigged up a temporary APRS tracker for the flight - here Bernie models the Rube Goldberg antenna mount.
IMG_9854.JPG

Plane tanks filled and our tanks drained - we were off on the short flight to Addison. It is a single runway airport just north of Love Field and there is a lot of traffic! Here is the view on short final.
IMG_9876.JPG

They have quite a museum at Addison. Dozens of warbirds and very nice staff of volunteers. We were greeted on the ramp by a beautiful T-28.
IMG_9882.JPG

Inside we got our first look at the P-51C as some of the original Tuskegee Airmen gave a panel presentation and discussion.
IMG_9904.JPG

IMG_9907.JPG

Here is a Douglas Skyraider EW plane as seen by the spinner of Grumman Avenger.
IMG_9909.JPG

To be continued........

Last edited:
Redtail Retrieved - Part 2

The cockpit of the Redtail is immaculate.
IMG_9928.JPG

Rozie supervises the pullout of his baby....
IMG_9933.JPG

The Mustang is a massive plane that oozes power - it really is a work of art.
IMG_9943.JPG

IMG_9957.JPG

Rozie crawls in to get reacquainted with and old friend.
IMG_9962.JPG

This thing is dead sexy.
IMG_0029.JPG

While Doug finished his checkout and prep for the trip home, Bernie and and I loaded up to head back to Minne. Doug signaled to tune 123.45 as we were taxiing out. The IFR clearance out of KADS was oddly complex, but Bernie was cool as the other side of the pillow and we were soon slogging our way north - paying for the tailwind we enjoyed on the way down.

Somewhere over Missouri....we asked KC center if there was a Mustang somewhere behind us. He asked "You want me to tell you if there is a P-51 on your 6?" We replied "yes" just as Doug checked on in the Redtail. The controller got into it and vectored both planes until Doug announced "Talley Ho!!" At this point I was in the back seat of the Bonanza armed with a Canon(pun intended) as Doug flashed by...
IMG_0077.JPG

Doug then came back around and tucked up under our wing for some photos...
IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0117.jpg

He tucked up so close I could reach out and touch him.
IMG_0134.jpg

Continued.......

Awesome Pete!!!! I got a tour of the RedTail while it was at Tristate being restored a couple summers ago. You are right it is a work of art! ...... They are even prettier in the air

Redtail Retrieved - Part 3

I just kept shooting as Doug expertly maneuvered the Redtail. He knows how to work a photoshoot!

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

Told you he was close!
IMG_0200.JPG

Some fun with the sun as a backlight
IMG_0233.JPG

Mustang eclipse!
IMG_0257.CR2.jpg

IMG_0252.JPG

All too soon, Doug peeled off and we headed for Anoka......
IMG_0294.jpg

I got to watch the sunset behind Bernie on the trip home.
IMG_0353.JPG

The Bonanza was a great ride for 10 hours Saturday and Bernie was a great pilot and excellent company.
IMG_0360.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for the writeup and pictures.

I never get tired of seeing closeup aerial photos of warbirds and P-51s especially. That was my kind of trip!

I feel fortunate to see that plane quite a bit - my -6A project hanger is at the south end of 16-34 at South St. Paul, facing the runway. It sure seems to get a lot of flight time, and I almost always put down what I'm doing to go watch (provided I can wiggle out of the tail cone or not get proseal all over everything to get to the door :)

Thank you!!!

Bernie and Pete,

Thanks for the ride and the wonderful photos... It was a great trip, both ways...

I took the airplane to ND this morning and got a ride back in Mark Tislers brand new RV-8, its first flight outside the test area....

Thanks again...

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal....

wow

thanks for the write up.....sure made me feel like I was along for the trip. Nice Pictures. Has anyone added a red tail paint scheme to an 8. Looks like a potential scheme for me!!!!!!!!!!

There is a Red Tail -8 that is almost a perfect copy of the Red Tail, I think it is in New Mexico, but not sure....

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

And thanks to you too Doug ...

Bernie and Pete,

Thanks for the ride and the wonderful photos... It was a great trip, both ways...

I took the airplane to ND this morning and got a ride back in Mark Tislers brand new RV-8, its first flight outside the test area....

Thanks again...

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal....

And all of the "crew" that made it happen (again)!

James
One of these days ........ :)

Amazing Photo's Pete!!! Just incredible!!!

It looks like the three of you had a fun day...even f Doug made it back a little before you and Bernie. Maybe next year you can trade off at the fuel stop! :cool:

- Peter

Peter,

You were on the list of folks to call..... All our RV's down here were either broken or busy so I moved north...

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal....

Hey Guys Thanks for stopping in at Muskogee! The plane you took a picture of is one of the Kate's owned by the CAF and used in the movie TORA TORA TORA! I fly with the airshow group TORA TORA TORA and we are doing the winter maintenance. I guess Doug didnt tell you guys that I have a RV8 also, I am getting ready to paint it like the P51 I fly, Bob Bakers Sweet and Lovely!

Last edited:
Sorry Mike

Mike -sorry I did not get your name right above. It is now fixed. It was a pleasure to meet you and the great little dog there at the FBO.

Thanks

Thanks Jon

for the pics of the REDTAIL Angel......Nice touch with the hand print.LOL
I am looking for a Military Scheme for my 8. Never know you could see one out there that looks a little like yours soon.

Regards
Rich Denton

ps. are you comming to Sun-N-Fun this year????

cockpit

Pete:

Is that the only Pic you have of the Cockpit. I am going to do my 8 in a Military Scheme and would like to see more pics of the Cockpit if you have it.

Thanks

Rich Denton

Sorry Rich

That is all I have. I did not have a good chance to get interior photos, we were in hurry to get back to Minne before it got too dark.

Doug might have some photos from the guys up in NoDak.

P51 on your six

Hey, I was the controller who helped you guys find each other. Small "RV" world huh? Really glad to see those beautiful pictures. Alot better than green blips on the radar.

Nice!

Hey, I was the controller who helped you guys find each other. Small "RV" world huh? Really glad to see those beautiful pictures. Alot better than green blips on the radar.

Now that really is cool! Thanks for your help! I should have my -9A down for a Twins/Royals game this summer, maybe we can hook up and go for a ride.

I am getting ready to paint it like the P51 I fly, Bob Bakers Sweet and Lovely!

P-51-2.jpg

Mr. Baker lives about 60 miles from me and was gracious enough to bring "Sweet and Lovely" to our fly in last spring. I'm hoping we can get "Little Rebel" here this year as well!

Your airplane will look fantastic!

Pete & Doug,

Great photos! What a beautiful plane.

Last year at OSH I met Doug for the first time and asked him about Redtail. He spoke almost as rabidly about that aircraft as Larry A. does about his 180 hp RV-6A with a constant speed prop. Almost.

It is good that a number of people around the US thought enough about the history of the Tuskegee Airmen to help with the restoration and stewardship of this historic aircraft.

Doug, you are one lucky guy.

Now that is too cool!!!! Wow..... talk about a small world....

If you like Warbirds, head out to IXD to the CAF hangar and tell them you know me.... They will either offer you a beer, or lock the door... The social director out there is Kim and she will make you feel welcome. If IXD is too far away head up to Tarkio where your Congressman and a Farmer are building an RV-8 with a IO-360 Continental..... It should be a hotrod..... They have a BT-13 up there and a Stearman.....

Great vectors btw!!!!

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

Pete & Doug,

Last year at OSH I met Doug for the first time and asked him about Redtail. He spoke almost as rabidly about that aircraft as Larry A. does about his 180 hp RV-6A with a constant speed prop. Almost.

That's where I must have got it from! I ran into Doug when he flew the B-25 to a flyin at Heber, Utah (McDonald Field). He probably wouldn't remember me .....though. Had lunch with Van once too, but he probably wouldn't remember me either. I just don't talk much.... at events like that... :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

That's where I must have got it from! I ran into Doug when he flew the B-25 to a flyin at Heber, Utah (McDonald Field). He probably wouldn't remember me .....though. Had lunch with Van once too, but he probably wouldn't remember me either. I just don't talk much.... at events like that... :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Were you in the hangars down at the west end of the field where you had a few flying airplanes and some being built? If so, I remember....

That was a fun show!!! I meet lots of people, but my mind isn't totally shot.... Mostly, but not totally....

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

Were you in the hangars down at the west end of the field where you had a few flying airplanes and some being built? If so, I remember....

That was a fun show!!! I meet lots of people, but my mind isn't totally shot.... Mostly, but not totally....

My conversation was short, the RV connection, and by the B-25, which as I remember was parked towards the southwest section of the ramp. Lot's of people at the time. I can't even remember what year it was. But, I didn't have a few flying airplanes. At one time, our EAA chapter hosted the event..... if it was the EAA flyin at that time. Later, it was taken over by the Park City group. Russ McDonald and his P-51D were around at the time. His aircraft was my P-51 experience, and worth every minute. It was later destroyed in Idaho, after his passing. But from this forum (just last week), I hear that it's been rebuilt.

L.Adamson --- RV6A