miyu1975

Well Known Member
what...unusable. When asking about an engine on whiteindustries.com listed as "missing several components"..I rec'd this response. asking price 3500.00

The engine you have requested information about is a disassemble engine in boxes.(IO-360-A1A) L-890-51M. The missing parts are as follows--2 cylinders, 4 pistons, 4 wrist pins, all rocker arms and spark plugs. The crank has been red tagged.

If that is missing then what's left, the case and 2 cylinders?.

engine

If you were buying a timed out engine to overhaul, wouldn't you assume the pistons and wrist pins were trash anyway? Same for the plugs.

From reading the ad, I would assume I was getting the case, cam, lifters, rods, an oil pan, and everything on the aft end (gears, accessory drives, etc).

A new crank will be the big ticket item.

Even if you need a new crank, this MIGHT be a good deal if everything else is servicable.

A good 4 cylinder Lycoming gets harder and harder to find every day. Good luck!

CDE

Sounds to me like you'd be buying a case and a serial number....plus a few miscellaneous paperweights.

Airboat

You may be able to sell the red tag parts to some of the airboat guys in FL. Over the past three years, I've bought 3 Lycoming 540 standard flange, 1 Lycoming 320 standard flange and a Continental C85-12. All were run out. The cylinders on all except two on the 320 were trash. I sent out all the accessory parts, cams, cranks, gears, lifters, etc. for overhaul. One crank and one cam were red tagged and went to the airboat guys in FL. I sold all of starters, fuel systems, alternators, etc on ebay and replaced them with new B & C starters, carbs or FI, B & C alternators, etc. New cylinders/yellow tagged cylinders are used.

I paid no more than $2500 for any of the Lycoming cores and $4500 for the Continental core. By the time everything is ready to run, I have between $11000 and $15000 in any of these engines. I know what is in each of them and I see them go together. I use the savings to defer the cost of other items during the build.

It may not be everyone's choice, but I prefer to do the engine this way and use the savings for used avionics, etc.

That price seems a little high, but 4 cylinder lycomings are hard to find. Ask around the small airports in your area if anyone has a good core engine. You will be surprised at how many are nearby.

Good luck.

For those of us who have to live under FAA scrutiny, Red Tag=Unserviceable and Unrepairable....in other words junk. In some instances Red Tagged parts also have to be scrapped and physically made unuseable as well, but not always.

From my standpoint I think that's a bit high pricewise. A friend of mine is just now looking at buying a good rebuildable core (it's still flying on a Piper - just high time) for about $5K. They are out there, you just have to hunt around a bit.

Cheers,
Stein

PS...Robby....if you're list of toys gets any longer I'm going to have to lodge a complaint-I'm jealous!! :)

Last edited: