wings444

Saw red fuel selector handle for the Vans fuel selector and feel in love.Went back on internet to purchase and could't find the site Does anyone know how to reach the vendor ?

Saw red fuel selector handle for the Vans fuel selector and feel in love.Went back on internet to purchase and could't find the site Does anyone know how to reach the vendor ?
As an additional data point for your consideration, I matched that upgraged red fuel knob to Bob Ester's fuel selector plate: http://www.rvengraving.com/fuel_selector.htm

2w1ry48.jpg

I am a big fan of Cleveland Tools, but I had their red fuel valve and did not like it. I didn't like it because of the way it works...it has a round hole for mounting and it has an allen screw that presses against the flat spot on the valve "shaft". Yes I had the allen screw installed with loctite and it never failed on me and it was still tight when I removed it, but it made me nervous every time I turned it.

I then installed the Van's lever (part #: FUEL VALVE LEVER) and it has the hole machined in the same shape as the shaft so there's really nothing to fail. The Van's lever is also a bit larger which I like (it's also more ergonomic).

I simply don't like adding one more failure mode (a screw backing out) to my fuel system.

...I simply don't like adding one more failure mode (a screw backing out) to my fuel system.

Aw, c'mon ... you're just being a wuss. If the handle comes off, just pop a vice-grip on there and you'll be OK. It's been done before ... ;)

The vice-grip thing was done very successfully by John Denver in a LongEZ!

Why is everyone so excited about dressing up the fuel valve. Why not go to the Andair fuel valve and have a great valve and a great looking red handle? The important thing is the valve, not the handle!

Why is everyone so excited about dressing up the fuel valve. Why not go to the Andair fuel valve and have a great valve and a great looking red handle? The important thing is the valve, not the handle!

Some folks (like me) installed the fuel valve that came with the kit but were unhappy with the look of the handle after flying for a little while. It's certainly easier to swap out a handle than an entire fuel valve. In short, it's an easy aesthetic upgrade...so why not?

Another reason people like the red handle is the pointer. With the supplied fuel valve the handle points at the selected tank. It's completely obvious which tank is selected, even to pilot who may be unfamiliar with the airplane.