ILikePike

Well Known Member
Where is the best place to mount the red cube on an IO-360-M1B? how should it be mounted? I am thinking either between pump and fuel servo or between fuel servo an flow divider. I may wrap with a short section of large fire sleeve and hold in place with an adel clamp. See my pictures for location options. Any ideas or pictures are welcome.
Redcube2_zps920ad0be.jpeg

Redcube1_zpsdc0cc803.jpeg

Last edited:
The question you have asked boils down to personal preference so it will be hard to discern a "best". You have already discounted mounting prior to the mechanical pump and that is the only position that generates passionate response.

Both of the positions you have noted have been used with success. I chose to use the position between the mechanical pump and servo, mount it on the firewall, and also mount my fuel pressure sensor in a "T" adjacent to the red cube which eliminated that goofy fuel pump fitting and one -3/-4 hose and Vans sensor manifold. The hose elimination was a "trade" since I had to add one -6 hose

Mine is mounted between the servo and the spider, with Aeroquip hoses on either side, which provide vibration isolation. Part of my intent for mounting location was to keep it readily accessible in the event of repair or replacement. Good thing; my first one was defective. :)

Red Cube

On my -8A I mounted the red cube on the firewall. L-fitting from the electric boost pump through the firewall, section of firesleeve covered tubing to adhere to the straight run requirement, then red cube.

An interesting ops issue: I initially had all kinds of difficulty with unstable fuel flow readings. Thought it might be because of location. Called the red cube manufacturer after serious wiring troubleshooting. Was told to "crimp the h*ll" out of the red cube connecting wires. Did so - and no problems since. After repeatedly calibrating, I'm within 0.1 - 0.3 gal (displays more fuel used than actual cosumption) every fill up.

Red Cube

On the lower left side of the firewall I in installed the 90 degree fitting called out on the Van's plans. I attached a short length of fire sleaved fuel line to the fitting and ran it to the Red Cube. From the Red Cube I ran another section of line back to the intake on the mechanical fuel pump. I fixed the positon of the Red Cube using clamps on the fuel lines before and after the cube. The clamps attached to the engine mount tube running between the lower two engine mount bolts and the tube running to the engine such that the cube does not touch any of the engine mount itself. I have a FlightDEC 180 and entered the suggested K factor for the Red Cube. The readings have been rock solid during flight testing and bang on the fuel useage. Hard mounting the Red Cube is not necessary.

I'm getting closer to this point and was wondering if it makes a difference before or after the mech fuel pump. Before seems like I could keep it safely away from exhaust easier, any thoughts?

Bird

Somewhere ...

...it was said the flo sensor should go as close to the injection point as practicable .... IIRC, it was an accuracy thing. But many builders have put them in a wide range of other locations, and to my knowledge, had few problems.

When I was setting mine up, I chatted with the guys from Airflow Performance (they are great BTW) and they said the best place to mount it is between the fuel servo and the flow divider (spider). It can be mounted other places, but that is the best. That's what I did.

As mentioned in an earlier post, set it up for easy removal. My FloScan went out pretty quick, so I went with a Red Cube and haven't had any problems since.

Dave, did you make a bracket attached to a sump bolt, is it clamped in any way, wrapped in fire sleeve? Got any pictures?

Pic

Hi Jeff. Here is a picture while installing the Red Cube (and swapping out from a FloScan). The picture does not show the final install of the wrapped wires, torque seal, etc. I put a tie wrap on the slow bend 90 degree fitting to the flow divider. It is secured to the main alternator wire, supporting it on that end.

For the other end, there is a 90 degree fitting that comes out of the top of the fuel servo. I had to put a slow bend 180 fitting to get it to all work (geometry of the tight fit) from that 90 degree fitting. There is plenty support from this end from the 180 soft bend steel fitting, that I didn't need to put a bracket on a sump nut. So now it will absorb any vibration by being supported as mentioned above on both ends, and not directly to something. I ordered the hose fittings from Earl's Performance Shop in Indy (though any performance shop can make them/sell you the supplies to make them). I fire sleeved the hoses, but did not fire sleeve the Red Cube. Don at Air Flow Performance said it's best to fire sleeve the whole flow sensor.

Hope that helps.

2lazexl.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
This is how I did it (6A with O-320) - has proven to be be accurate and no fuel vaporization issues.
red_cube2.jpg

1 is hose from fuel filter (on firewall under camera) to mechanical fuel pump
2 is from fuel pump to red cube
3 is from red cube to carb
4 is to the fuel pressure sender, and uses a special fitting with a -4 female on the side. The thinking here is that if the red cube were to become blocked tapping the fuel pressure here will show that.
Fuel pressure tapping after the fuel pump does not show pressure at carb inlet with the red cube in the way.
Hose at the top of the picture is an oil hose. All brown hoses are teflon with integral firesleeve.

Pete

fwiw,

my cube on my jab 3300 is installed before the mechanical pump and after the aux. electric. when i forget to turn off my elec. pump my fuel flow is indicated to be way higher than actual [2gph]. turn off the elec. pump and it drops down to actual. when i mentioned this on another builders site others said they noticed this too.
bob noffs