mountainride

Well Known Member
After ~350 hours my red cube gave some erroneous fuel flows varying between 5 and 18 gph on the last flight. It seemed to work properly later in the flight but I assume its at the end of its life. I am trying to figure out how to better protect from heat in the standard RV-14 location on the intake tubes. TS Flightlines has a relocation kit to mount on the engine frame but I was hoping to just swap it out with my existing fuel hoses. I created a heat shield out of scape aluminum but am not really sure if this will help or possibly make it even worse. I was going to put some stick on refective heat shield on top. What is the correct thermo evaluation of my solution?

ZAp1vbe.jpeg

pq9iZ2x.jpeg

Add some Shiny tape and I think DanH would approve of this. :)

You do have the two shields already installed on the #2 and #4 exhaust headers...right?

After ~350 hours my red cube gave some erroneous fuel flows varying between 5 and 18 gph on the last flight. It seemed to work properly later in the flight but I assume its at the end of its life. I am trying to figure out how to better protect from heat in the standard RV-14 location on the intake tubes. TS Flightlines has a relocation kit to mount on the engine frame but I was hoping to just swap it out with my existing fuel hoses. I created a heat shield out of scape aluminum but am not really sure if this will help or possibly make it even worse. I was going to put some stick on refective heat shield on top. What is the correct thermo evaluation of my solution?

ZAp1vbe.jpeg

pq9iZ2x.jpeg

Vic Syracuse's book "Maintenance Handbook for Van's RV Aircraft" has a write up on this. Vic recommends wrapping the Red Cube with heatshield/heat barrier (like those you can buy from Aircraft Spruce).