Blain

Well Known Member
After struggling with multiple location options I've settled on this.
My question is the need for firesleeve here. I seems that firesleeve would be counterproductive to the cooling airflow. As far as fire protection goes, I'm using steel elbows and the spider is as vulnerable to fire but Lycoming doesn't seem concerned about wrapping it.

[mURL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/BStumpf/media/IMG_20160206_114743089.jpg.html]
IMG_20160206_114743089.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
From the Skyview Install Manual...

Don't know what system you are using, but this is what Dynon recommends:

General Placement Recommendations for Fuel Flow Transducer
 Do not install the fuel flow transducer, hoses and fittings near exhaust system or
turbocharger. Excessive heat can damage fuel system components.
 Do not install 90 degree fittings (elbows) on the input or output of the fuel flow transducer.
Doing so will cause turbulence in the fuel flow which causes inaccurate fuel flow data.
 Install the fuel flow transducer with the three wires pointed UP.
 Install a fuel filter UPSTREAM of the fuel flow transducer to screen out debris.
 For best measuring performance, the fuel should travel uphill by one to two inches (25-50
mm) after leaving the fuel flow transducer.
 Placement of the fuel flow transducer relative to other items in the fuel system like fuel
pumps is left to the builder. It is common to place the sensor downstream of any auxiliary
electric boost pumps but upstream of the engine driven fuel pump.

Due to vibration issues, never connect the fuel flow transducer directly to the
engine.

The builder of my RV7 mounted the Red Cube low on the firewall, centered.

i would really rethink that location. it should be placed as low as you can get it. preferably below the fuel pump. it should not be mounted on the engine, the vibration is really bad on jeweled bearings in it, and being on the engine it will soak up a lot of heat.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

After discussions with Don at airflow Performance, I'm relocating mine to a horizontal position right below the the cylinders in between the outlet of the servo and the input to the spider. Looks like it will fit there just fine and NOT be mechanically secured directly to the engine. The in/out hoses will be secured to the engine on either side of the sender. Makes sense to me anyway.

Bevan

After discussions with Don at airflow Performance, I'm relocating mine to a horizontal position right below the the cylinders in between the outlet of the servo and the input to the spider. Looks like it will fit there just fine and NOT be mechanically secured directly to the engine. The in/out hoses will be secured to the engine on either side of the sender. Makes sense to me anyway.

Bevan

EI encourages leaving cube free hanging between rubber hoses, or so they told me.

Larry

I've made the decision about where and how to mount based on manufacurers instructions and respected builders here on the forum, I don't mean to disrespect the opinions posted to this thread so far but my question was about the necessity for fire sleeve.

BTW, I did miss the recommendation for out line to be higher then the cube for a place for air bubbles to accumulate.

The red cube does not get fire sleeve

Placement of the red cube is almost as never ending as the primer debate and
Let me be blunt, your choice for placement along with ignoring manufacturers
Recommendations is probably the most unsuitable for a red cube.
AFP clearly recommends installation in line with the fuel supply hose coming up from the controller. No fire sleeve and no attachment to the engine is needed or wanted.
The inline installation replaces those 2 elbows with straight nipples and will
be supported by fire sleeved hose, end of problem.

The only thing right about your red cube is the wires sticking straight up but
of all the other very important manufacturers recommendation that is the least important.

BTW, I did miss the recommendation for out line to be higher then the cube for a place for air bubbles to accumulate

You also missed the "do not mount on the engine and do not install elbows
On the inlet and outlet side of the cube."

I don't always follow advice given, my red cube is happily
mounted inside the tunnel on the cool side of the fire wall.
It is very accurate and definitely does not need fire sleeve there.

Last edited:
I've made the decision about where and how to mount based on manufacurers instructions and respected builders here on the forum, I don't mean to disrespect the opinions posted to this thread so far but my question was about the necessity for fire sleeve.

BTW, I did miss the recommendation for out line to be higher then the cube for a place for air bubbles to accumulate.

When you post a photo in a forum that clearly shows you are disregarding multiple standard practices for installing a fuel flow sensor, it should be expected that people will try and get you back on track.

In my defense.....

From current ECI instructions:
Page 25 part numbers provided for 90 degree elbows
Page 27 hard mount bracket described
Page 28 instructions for mounting between servo and spider

Nowhere do the instructions recommend against hard mounting on the engine.

I understand the risk of shortened lifespan or sacrificed accuracy, I'll accept those for the simplicity of the installation.

While researching my defense :).....I did find the answer to my original firesleeve question within the ECI instructions " firesleeve when within 6" of exhaust"

And to answer the question about the multi rib belt, IDK. Factory new engine in mid 2000's hung on, I think, a Cardinal. Must have been a Lycoming option?

I have heard several different

answers (from the same "factory guy") to the right angle in/out on that cube. If you look at the inside, The flow area goes from the fitting, expands to the NPT diameter, then finally to a small sharp edged orifice. Except for capturing bubbles.

Yes, the respondents have quoted all the rules, but when i talked to the "guy" they seemed more like guidelines to me. If something does not work right, then back to the rules. It does have some jeweled bearings and high frequency/g-load vibration can't be too good for that.

Good to hear about the original question - fire sleeve - I will mount mine soon and had the same question.

Fair enough.

When I run into cases like this where an engine companies docs conflict with a instrumentation companies (pretty much all of them in this instance) documentation, I usually go with the instrumentation documentation when working with the instrumentation.

To Michael's question, Lycoming does make flywheels with the serpentine belt for factory new Cessnas. My IO-540 began its life in a circa 2000 182 and had this flywheel. I exchanged it for a v-groove flywheel.