ron sterba

Well Known Member
Well I used the SEARCH function on the forum page and found a multitude of comments toward the discussions about leaks in the NPT threads on the RED CUBE. Its stated there is a PASSIVE RECALL on older units. Each red cube comes with a serial # on a tag. Its this serial # YOU NEED and then CALL THE factory in Bend Oregon. I want to say thanks to all the guys who offered advice in those posts to fix leaks. I noted that the conversations were in a YEAR AGO posts and very up front.
I am at that point to install my red cube in line mounted along two bars on the motor mount. My question here (which I didn't see mentioned) about the type of fitting on the red cube. Obviously one end is male and what is the favorable other end be? Male or Female? I'll have to have both hoses made, one leaving the servo and one leaving the spider to the red cube. Open to your ideas! Those two thru holes in the Red Cube body,ARE those used for mounting with AN 3 bolts?

I took the posts to heart and called the company in Bend Oregon and asked if they could make a RED CUBE with fittings conducive to fuel line installation for experimental aircraft. Some of last years threads posted good sound changes/ideas for our installations. I suggested that maybe a model could be produced & offered for us experimental plane guys. I passed on that the guys feel a strong sense of quality in the red cubes function as a fuel flow device. I hope that a new model might come out of our conversation. Its always a good thing to question, hoping for a favorable conclusion.

Ron in Oregon.

I thought the Red Cube *was* designed for us amateur-built owners? NO reason it couldn't be used elsewhere, I suppose. It's just a flow transducer.

The through holes are for mounting. I mounted mine on the cross bar between the top ends of the gearlegs on the engine mount (RV-6). As for fittings, you can buy almost anything you want from Aeroquip... You can even make custom hoses that fit directly into the Red Cube if you want. I seem to recall I used discrete fittings (NPT male to Aeroquip male), then made my own hoses for the rest of the installation.

Thanks Rob, Sounds like a good idea. Hoping to start up my 9A by the end of August. I'll check with that company aeroquip. I would imagine they have all that I need to complete that fuel line run. I have the Precision Inc.vertical fuel injection system on my IO 320. Made some changes on the inlet fuel line from one side to the other and the outlet fuel from the front to the rear of the servo with a 45 fitting. Off the 45 to the red cube. Mines a little different in that I mounted my oil cooler on the firewall.Gives me a little more play room behind the baffling to bring the fuel line from the red cube to the spider.
Much appreciated!
Ron in Oregon

Thanks Rob, Sounds like a good idea. Hoping to start up my 9A by the end of August. I'll check with that company aeroquip. I would imagine they have all that I need to complete that fuel line run. I have the Precision Inc.vertical fuel injection system on my IO 320. Made some changes on the inlet fuel line from one side to the other and the outlet fuel from the front to the rear of the servo with a 45 fitting. Off the 45 to the red cube. Mines a little different in that I mounted my oil cooler on the firewall.Gives me a little more play room behind the baffling to bring the fuel line from the red cube to the spider.
Much appreciated!
Ron in Oregon

Give Tom at TSflightlines.com a buzz. He can hook you up with everything you need to complete that fuel line routing with the best service around and reasonable prices. Not affiliated, just a very satisfied customer.

Recall issue was not about NPT threads...

After I read this thread I called Tim at EI about my FT60. He clarified that the old issue of leaking was with a seal on top of the cube. Older models had a small spring held in place with some sealant and a cap. The unaffected units have a 2nd red plate over the top that seals the inner workings, rather than the former seal. Nothing to do with the fuel inlet/outlet. Actually he said something which made me pause for a moment. Are we sure we are using properly produced AN fittings? Knockoffs are out there. I seal my NPT threads with Bakerseal for most fittings. Time will tell if that was the best choice. Others swear by it. So I did give him my serial number and he said it was the newer kind and is OK. Back to worrying about other stuff:)

red cube.

Hi Wendell, I to spoke with Tim. Nice guy, and we discussed the leak also on the older units. Mine turned out to be a newer unit and that was good news. One of the issues in the posts from a year ago in the SEARCH forums was the leaks in the NPT threads.Even in todays builds ,builders are still having a problem with leakage. I suggested to Tim that maybe the company (EI)could look at putting AN threads on the units it sells to its vendors. I know product liability issues arise but I said it doesn't have to been aimed at the experimental market per say but just a different threading with a model to reflect the AN threading. I directed him to the website and have a look. I hope something comes out productive from our conversation too. As for the leaks in the NPT (national pipe thread) looks like builders are getting satisfaction from Permatex #2 and Proseal for those NPT. Well anyway glad you called too. Take care.
RV9A Ron in Oregon