TerryWighs

Well Known Member
I am having trouble finding out information on this seasons race schedule. Anyone out there know when the race schedule is formalized.

I am having trouble finding out information on this seasons race schedule. Anyone out there know when the race schedule is formalized.

It isn't out on any of the Red Bull sites. Just says that there will be two in the US and the format has changed a bit.

Red Bull Air Race Schedule 2008

The years first race will be in the UAE in early April. The next two races will be in the US. San Diego May 3-4 and Detroit May 30-June 1. I believe these are the only two US race dates for the year. The full schedule will probably be released sometime after this week.

Last edited:
Rhonda,

Any chance you know the dates for the Perth, Australia end of year event? I'm guessing Nov but need to book flights etc.

Thanks,

Carl

RBAR - Perth

I'll check and see if I can get them and let you know.

Dates for Perth are as follows: November 1st and 2nd

Last edited:
This is quoted from latest news from RBAR site:

"It?s just one day until the race calendar and pilot line up for the 2008 Red Bull Air Race World Series is revealed. New cities, new country, new pilot and a new race format are just some of the exciting developments in the next chapter of the Red Bull Air Race.

The announcements will be made on Wednesday 6th February in the spectacular surroundings of Hangar-7 at Salzburg Airport in Austria with all pilots in attendance.
"

So I believe that latest tomorrow we know all the dates so hold your horses a while. :p

Midwest USA

Today's AOPA E-pilot says they are planning a stop in the midwest USA. Anyone have details?

Looks like Motown in May!

Cam, aren't you sorry you left? OK, with the predicted high Sunday of 14, maybe not..... :D

Last edited:
Where to view race from?

I have not been to a red bull, just watched the You Tubes. I am 5 minutes outside of detroit and am trying to decide how best to get good seats. If they race over the lake, or river, they cant really sell tickets as its park land and private homes. If someone has been to one, is there a best spot? Start, finish, just in the middle? This will be great for the area and certainly well attended. Look forward to seeing where they run it around here. Anyone know the exact course location???

RBAR Best View

If you see the race from one of the free locations, there will be jumbotrons to view the telecast portion of the race. If you want an unobstructed view, you can buy a ticket (Fairly inexpensive to OMG in price.)

I have not been to a red bull, just watched the You Tubes. I am 5 minutes outside of detroit and am trying to decide how best to get good seats. If they race over the lake, or river, they cant really sell tickets as its park land and private homes. If someone has been to one, is there a best spot? Start, finish, just in the middle? This will be great for the area and certainly well attended. Look forward to seeing where they run it around here. Anyone know the exact course location???
Over the river, with some part in front of the Ren Center.

Curious thing is that they are NOT going to use City (DET) for staging. They are looking at a number of sites along to river to convert to a small (1500') runway and hangar area. Needs to be within walking distance. Apparently all in the interest of publicity and drawing a crowd!

detroit course.

There has been no talk about it...that i have heard.in the detroit area. When will they know and issue the course location? I would love to have a great seat, or rent a spot. Anyone with detroit course knowledge let me know. A hotel on the water with a balcony would be just awesome if i knew where it was going to be. Belle Isle, Riverfront Ren Cen, Lake St Clair???

Be careful about hotel balcony viewing

I was at the race in San Diego last year, and there is no substitute for being close to the action. The planes are small, and the gates are only 60 feet tall. The whole race (if there's no vertical) is flown at 20 feet off the water. There were some great hotel balcony positions that we were wishing we had looked into as we were walking down to the water for qualifying day... But 30 seconds into the first qualifying run, we knew we had made the right decision.

Unless the hotel is ON THE WATER and you have a low level balcony, spring for the race tickets. We paid $30 for a 2 day pass in San Diego, and I assure you, there is nothing like being 50 yards away from a plane doing 200+ mph in a 9g turn. The sights and sounds wouldn't be nearly as fun watching from a balcony 25 stories up. IMHO, you'd be better off watching it on TV. And besides, some of the comments from non-pilots are worth the cost of admission!

Dave

There has been no talk about it...that i have heard.in the detroit area. When will they know and issue the course location? I would love to have a great seat, or rent a spot. Anyone with detroit course knowledge let me know. A hotel on the water with a balcony would be just awesome if i knew where it was going to be. Belle Isle, Riverfront Ren Cen, Lake St Clair???

Rick: The actual race courses are released thirty (30) days prior to each event. If you go to the the RBAR site around that time and click on the destination city, there is usually a map with the open access, general admission sites, hotels and everything on it.

Midwest stop

Is listed as Detroit. Am waiting with bated breath for the exact venue tho. Gives me an excuse to go visit the daughter! :D

On a related note...

A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to fly over with some fellow RV'ers to Breckenridge, TX to take a look at the P-38 that is being restored by Ezell Aviation for Red Bull. The plane is one of the most beautiful aircraft I've ever seen. It is polished to the hilt & looks like it came off of a modern assembly line. It probably won't be long before you see its appearance at some of the races. (Since the owners are German, it may be mostly European bound)

Here's a link to Ezell. They have restored many warbirds & do consumate work.
http://www.ezellaviation.com/index.htm
(see links at the top)