N941WR

Legacy Member
Flight Safety and a few other high end flight schools offer recurrent training in specific make and models of aircraft.

Is it even possible for some of the high RV time CFI’s to develop a recurrent RV training syllabus?

The idea is that the syllabus can be presented to your local CFI at your biannual so that the corners of your plane can be explored.

The problem I see here is that many CFI’s may never have been in an RV before. That is sort of a catch 22 as I have read many stories about BFRs where the RV owner spent the time “demonstrating” the RV to the CFI.

I think the syllabus could cover some system checks aka a more thorough pre-flight and then move on to ground operations, and finally fight operations.

If such a syllabus was created and adopted, maybe we could get the insurance companies to cut us a deal, if we followed it every year.

Here are my thoughts, and please expand upon it:

Pre-flight
- Remove top cowling (Both if desired)
- Inspect each hinge, cotter pint, nut, etc.

Ground operations
- Nose wheel operations
o Full stall landings
o Cross wind landings
- Stick back all the time
- Tail wheel operations (wheel landings, 3-point – Full stall, cross winds)
- Stalls
o Power on
o Power off
o Accelerated stalls
- Landings
o Short
o Soft
o Short & Soft
o No Flap
o Simulated engine out landings
- Take offs
o Short
o Soft
o Short & Soft
o Aborted
- Slow flight (Just above stall, not 70 mph)
- Emergency procedures

Last edited:
Bill,
Very timely request. The RV Flight Safety Committee (I think that is our current name) is working on just such a document, as well as a nice web site with lots of other information. Ron Lee can give more information about this. We hope to have this up and running before Oshkosh.

I am having trouble believing what I am reading.

Any flight instructor that has difficulty flying (or instructing) on an RV - a wonderful, docile aircraft - should seriously consider another line of work.

An R22 it surely ain't. Now there's a nasty little aircraft.

I regularly instruct on:

C172
Citabria
Maules
Pitts
PT-22 Ryan
PT-19/26 Cornell
Stearman (R-985)
Harvard/T-6/SNJ (clip-wing, geared 3-blade)
Beech 18
C421B
L39C
and many, many homebuilt types (incl all RV variants)

And you're telling me that flight instructors are struggling with
an RV?!

How grossly embarrassing.

Last edited:
Common Sense?

I am having trouble believing what I am reading.
Any flight instructor that has difficulty flying (or instructing) on an RV - a wonderful, docile aircraft - should seriously consider another line of work.
How grossly embarrassing.

Pitts, I think you missed the point completely. Bill said, "The problem I see here is that many CFI?s may never have been in an RV before. That is sort of a catch 22 as I have ready many stories about BFRs where the RV owner spent the time ?demonstrating? the RV to the CFI". He didn't say they were incapable of instructing in an RV, just that many are not experienced enough to be effective without some time in the airplane themselves.

I am suspect of any CFI that offers to give a Flight Review in an aircraft in which they have zero experience.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

????????

Say what?
I cant beleive what i am reading either.... A special bfr sylabus for a general aviation se aircraft? And an experimental aicraft?

Define flight safety. Flight safety academy which is nothing but another flight school or fight safety training which is model specified and triggered for the commercial operator and they use multiaxis simulators, 3 weeks classes and it costnabout $ 17 k to 24k for each initialmand or recurrent? FSA doesnnot have a simulator formany of the single engine.

Want to fly safely? Is thats what you are trying to accomplish? Why dont you fly one of those desk top sim,s? Many of of those around.

I think itnis cheaper and better for you and for all, to find a capable CFI

Last edited:
The other side of the coin.

Guys, remember that the CFI is not the PIC during a BFR. He is in reality an observer and doesn't even have to fly the airplane....just sit there and ask for maneuvers to be demonstrated. Examiners are allowed to even stand on the ground and watch the applicant perform directed tasks, if it's a single-seater.

I have been the right seater in airplanes that I'd never flown...and saw the ball off center by 3/4 for most of the flight, until I asked him to pull both feet back...voila!! centered ball!

Any competent CFI can easily evaluate stick and rudder skills without ever having been checked out in an RV.

My 02?,

Examiners are allowed to even stand on the ground and watch the applicant perform directed tasks, if it's a single-seater.

Pierre,

No longer true. This from Joe Norris:

"You cannot do a flight review in a single seat aircraft. The regulation (14 CFR 61.56) specifically requires one hour of "flight training", which means dual instruction. You'll have to take your flight review in something that allows dual instruction."

Tony

Any competent CFI can easily evaluate stick and rudder skills without ever having been checked out in an RV

+1

If your flight instructor is "challenged" by an RV, go find another one, preferably that didn't start flying 2 years ago and has only ever flown one type of aircraft.