Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
The RV8!

I have 5 RV8s in my shop. The 'Borrowed Horse' and 4 more. Tom Boback is flying,after 12 years of building, three more RV8s are being built with my help/coaching. I am in RV Heaven! Love building 8s!!! I think 5 RV8s at one time is my record #! I have built/helped on 20 RV8s over the years.
There is a RV8a here, and two RV7a s under construction too.
If you are a newbie, and want to see some RV building come on over to Hicks T67, north of Fort Worth, Texas and I will show you around.
Having some airplane fun here!!! :D

Last edited:
That is centerpiece of The Central

j2.jpg

And this is the other hangar of RV Central. Behind my RV there are two more :D

5.jpg

Paul K & Videos?

Paul K,

I wish someone would help me learn to post videos and pictures.
One guy helped me with some pictures and I made notes ,, but ,,,must have missed some steps?

Last edited:
I wish someone would help me learn to post videos and pictures.

Jay, you are too funny. I know I've personally showed you on at least two separate occasions! Jayne has showed you at least once as well!! Where is Carol?? Is she not more computer savvy than you?

I will take you up on that Jay!

The RV8!

If you are a newbie, and want to see some RV building come on over to Hicks T67, north of Fort Worth, Texas and I will show you around.
Having some airplane fun here!!! :D

Jay,
I will take you up on that! I would love to come by and see the set-up. I am very interested in efficiently setting up my shop...and what I need now (emp) vs. later in the build (wings,fuse,etc). The bonus is that I too am starting an -8 very soon... so it's all good!:D PM sent with my details.

Wish I was there to soak up some RV knowledge.
Just getting rolling on my kit and I haven't made friends with the way the instructions are written yet so I spend a lot of time reading a sentence over and over again figuring out both what it is telling me to do and what it is telling me not to do. Already made an unrecoverable mistake that required ordering a new rib. Oh well. :eek:

Hey Blue, ever looked into the SportAir workshops? I think it could help you get started. Also, the EAA videos have a lot of good info. THEN you can always come to VAF for anything else that puzzles you.

Jay I had some downtime in Dallas last week and almost came over to see you, again. Sounds like things are hopping. I promise to come by next time I have a chance.

Pirep on the "Candy Store" aka RV Central

Ok?so first, I have to give a big ?THANK YOU? to Jay. He says he gave me the ?nickel tour?, but I really feel like it was the VIP treatment! I spent almost 2 hours with Jay going over his RV-8, Borrowed Horse and peeking at all the projects he has at RV Central. I know most of you guys out there have known about Jay and RV Central for years? I know, I am sorry ? this will be old news to you. You can stop reading here.

For the rest of you ? and especially you newbies like me?It is truly amazing what Jay has going on at RV Central. If you have never been, and are within driving/flying distance (which would mean anywhere from San Fran to NY city) :D ? you have to come see it! By the time I left there, I was calling RV Central the ?Candy Store? (probably not the first time someone has done that). The Candy Store has everything ? I mean everything. It literally runs the gamut from a barely touched empennage kit all the way to an -8 that is 23 hours into Phase 1 test flying (and literally EVERYTHING in between). - Jay was gracious enough to take me around to all of his builder's projects and explain the nuances of the different builder?s tastes ? as well as answer a myriad of newbie questions. I really, really appreciate it Jay ? more than you could know. As a newbie that is just at the garage clearing stage ? it was so helpful for someone to take you through the process and to clear up many of the scary ?unknowns?. And as neat as the hardware was - Jay still has the "RV-grin" and really loves what he does...it shines thru.

I had been to Jay?s website a few times. But that doesn?t begin to describe it - because you couldn't. Jay has 3 separate ?slots? for building as well as a boat load of hanger space in 2 separate hangers to get your project kick started or completed. Everywhere you look there are airplanes, airplane parts and tools. There are 4 or 5 of every tool you could need and Jay has built so many RV?s that he has done it all ? the good way and the bad way ? and knows how they should be built.

In the end, my brain felt like it was full and couldn?t contain any more data - and I told Jay that I would be seeking some help from him and information in the future ? when I start building. In summary, Jay is a class act and again ? for any newbie, or someone that is thinking about building, but not sure ? look Jay up and get the ?nickel tour?! I wish I had done it years ago when I first started lurking on the VAF site. Who knows, I might almost be done by now :eek::D