danieldo

I'm New Here
I just bought the empennage kit for an RV7 and now looking at buying tools. I see several companies offer RV tools as a kit. Any recommendations?

Most builders seem to recommend the RV Builder's Kit from Avery Tools, which seems to have a fair price and excellent customer service behind it. There is also a kit from PlaneTools.com with a pneumatic squeezer and other upgrades that many builders opt for.

Mike

Tools

I bought the ATS (Aircraft Tool Supply) RV tool kit. No problems with any of the tools that I got from them. Bought the kit when they had it on sale - got lucky. As far as I know, nothing wrong with Avery. I bought the pneumatic squeeze 'cause I gotts a bad elbow - Brown tool - they're on sale now. bought my compressor from Tractor Supply, $379 as I recall - 110V - 5hp - two stage - wet. I use my electric drill for countersinking. I have three hand squeezes. The first came from ATS - huge and heavy but very good. Then I got the Tatco squeeze - disappointed - the 3" yoke is misalligned. Then I got the Avery squeeze - very good.

Each kit will most likely come with tools you don't use and also be missing tools you will need.

Stopped using my band saw - got better results with a hack saw. Have used my drill press A LOT! Belt sander is sitting under the bench - has been since I first tried to use it - not happy with results.

My $.02

Tools (cont.)

Sorry - one more thing - I don't know how heavy my DB hammer is but I would have liked one a little bit heavier.

Tool Sources

Just finished buying the initial 'surge' of tools needed for my project.

I bought most of my tools from Cleaveland, but deleted some items I already owned and added other tools from Brown, Isham, and Avery.

The biggest difference I noted when looking at tool kits online and at Oshkosh came down to the type of squeezer included (hand or pneumatic) and whether or not the yokes are interchangeable. I liked the Cleaveland "Main Squeeze" design and bought it with their kit, but I also picked up a pneumatic squeezer on sale from Brown.

I also don't think you can go wrong with the Avery hand squeezer. Other squeezer brands didn't seem to offer the same quality or interchangeability as the Cleaveland or Avery sets when I played with them at Oshkosh...both companies have machine shops and make many of their own products, have experience building RVs, etc. and I think this makes a real difference in their approach to customer service.

All four of the vendors I've dealt with had some good sale prices this summer, and Brown still offers free shipping on orders over $85 (which as most of you know is an easy figure to exceed!).

I've also had great service from all four companies, with short delivery times using UPS/FEDEX Ground (1-3 days to KC) and immediate answers to my questions.

Bottom line: I don't think you can go wrong dealing with any of these companies. They all sell quality tools at fair prices.

Good hunting!
Mike

I got mine from Planetools.com

I bought the complete kit from planetools.com. I was very impressed with the pricing, quality of the tools, shipping times, and customer service.

Shaun (the owner) spent about 30 minutes with me on the phone getting my kit just right for my preferences. A true stand-up guy.

Nate

Have to put in a big recommendation for the Isham Planetools kit. The price is just great considering it includes the DRT2 and Pnuematic Squeezer. The kit arrived only 3 days after ordering it and the DRT2 was a few days after that. The quality and completeness of the kit is spot on. I had a problem with a leaky air swivel and they threw one in the mail without question. A week later, I put my 1" adjustable set holder into my 1 1/4" no-hole yoke and destroyed the set holder. When calling to order and pay for a new one, Isham replaced the $50 part at no charge!! I can't help but think it was totally my fault, but talk about great customer service. The air drill and rivet gun work perfectly. Best yet, I have pretty much used every single tool in the kit - no frivolous extras here... Plus, they didn't even charge me for the 27 Years of the RVator I ordered along with the kit!!! - These guys are great, you can't go wrong.

In addition to the kit, I also purchased the following to make the ultimate tool kit:
- Longeron Yoke (must have)
- 4" No Hole Yoke (must have)
- Ajustable set holder (must have) / Long standard set holder
- Back rivet plate (must have)
- Small electric screwdriver with deburring bit adapter (harbor freight)
- 90 Degree Angle Drill attachment
- 1" and 2" Scotchbright wheels for die grinder
- Vise Grip 3/32 Dimpler (very handy)
- Automatic Center Punch

Core Shop tools:
Bench Belt Sander
Drill Press
Bench Grinder w/ scotchbrite
Band saw
6" Vise
Tons of misc. clamps

Hope this helps!
Chris

bits

I have found that drill bits suppied by Brown Tools seem to be far superior to any others I have used. I also buy them for use at work (auto mechanic/machinist) and find them both economical and very long lived.
2 cents...Chris

Simple... Buy all of them!

I found I was spending about $100 to $300 a month on tools until the end. When you finish with aluminum tools, you need flairing tools, and when you are done with that you need electrical tools, and when you are done with that...

Planetools.com

I bought the kit from planetools.com and have been very impressed with the tool set and post sales support. The DRDT-2 and pneumatic squeezer are awesome and have become my favorite tools. I also opted for the Sioux drill and liked it so much that I bought a second one from Shaun. If you have the extra money, opt in for the longeron yoke up front. It comes in real handy for those hard to reach rivets in the tail.

See my web page for more info on whats included in the kit from Planetools.com
http://www.nippaero.com/tools.php

I don't know if you have a compressor but I also documented my setup here http://www.nippaero.com/compressor.php

I too have found that you don't stop buying tools after the initial kit. It's an ongoing process.
Good luck!

Last edited: