Jesse

Well Known Member
For those who are familiar with the RV-10 and the West half of the country, could anyone recommend a good, safe, scenic, shortest and/or easiest route from Denver, CO to Palo Alto, CA?

Dont rush the trip!

Jesse,
Considering the abilities of the 10 and as long as you had oxygen, flying the HWY 70 across Colorado and part of the way through Utah, then picking up HWY 50 is a very scenic route. If you don't want to get up to 14k -15k going over the Loveland Ski area pass, you can sneak around north or south then join the highway at Eagle or Glenwood Springs.

There are so many really cool places to fly over in Colorado and Utah that I would try and find an extra couple days and really have a great time. The Colorado mountains are crazy pretty. Landing at Leadville is a must do. As you pass Grand Junction, Rocky Mountain National Monument would be great from the air.

Into Utah along the Green River through Moab and Canyonlands. All the red rock monuments would be crazy fun to fly around. Across the Utah desert over Topaz Mountain into the Nevada mining district may not be as pretty as the red rocks, but still very interesting. As you get close to Lake Tahoe, a quick turn to Dayton and stop to say hello to Paul and Louise. Tahoe to Palo Alto would be a quick last leg on an amazing trip. Wish I was going. I REALLY need to get my plane done!!

Even fully loaded, the -10 will have no trouble gaining enough altitude from Denver to go due west over the rocks as suggested by Whitman and Rocky.

A lower route would be to depart Denver southbound to Pueblo, then cut through La Veta Pass. It is hardly a pass; wide and the road is 9,400'. From there, due west. The La Veta route pretty much keeps you out of the mountains, but still shows you lots of beautiful country.

Jim Berry
RV-10

There are so many really cool places to fly over in Colorado and Utah that I would try and find an extra couple days and really have a great time. The Colorado mountains are crazy pretty. Landing at Leadville is a must do. As you pass Grand Junction, Rocky Mountain National Monument would be great from the air.

:) notice the Bold addition to my signature. I need to keep the first part true by not being gone long so soon after the second part became true.

The La Veta route pretty much keeps you out of the mountains, but still shows you lots of beautiful country.

Jim Berry
RV-10

...and quite a few airfields along the way. Keep an eye on any mountain wave activity as we approach the winter months.

...and quite a few airfields along the way. Keep an eye on any mountain wave activity as we approach the winter months.

Most of the locals stay out of the mountains if the winds are 30 knots or more; some bail at 20 knots.

Jesse, are you overnighting Denver or passing through? If you RON KAPA, I may be able to get you a hangar. Covered parking for sure.

Jim Berry
RV-10