thinkn9a

Well Known Member
Just wondering what are some suggestions other than fuel and pilot for use in testing to forward and aft cg.

What have you used,... how have you secured it,...is it moveable in flight,.. if so how,..

did you take out the second seat back to allow some weight shift?

tks!

If you have a weight set, take a duffel bag (or backpack) and fill it with whatever amount of weight you want, then use your seatbelts to hold the bag in place. It is best to secure the bag, then load it with weights, as opposed to trying to load a hundred pound sack 'o weights into the airplane.

cg

At work, we use 25 lb. bags of lead shot tie-wrapped in place. Never had any problems at all doing it this way. For fwd cg, tie-wrap them to the engine mount tubes. Pay attention to your weight distribution too, especially when loading for aft cg conditions. You are better off placing a lot of weight closer to the center of mass of the airplane rather than a less weight far from the center of mass for spin recovery (inertia) reasons. You shouldn't need many weights to get the desired result in an RV.

CDE

rice and beans

beans and rice. I started with 125 lbs of rice and beans from Costco figuring if the worst happens (if it already hasn't) that at least Linda and I will eat for a little while. When I needed more weight, I used 40 lb sacks of water softener salt double bagged in trash bags. In either case, I was able to tie the ballast down with the seat belts or baggage compartment tie downs.

Based on the previous posts, maybe I should have used 45ACP lead. Probably more useful than rice and beans in the long run...