pazmanyflyer

Well Known Member
This will be my first time flying to Airventure. Wheels up Friday morning from Goodyear, AZ headed to Dalhart for fuel. Touch down at OSH is Sunday (avoiding mass arrivals). Plan is to fly early morning through early afternoon and RON at fun/interesting places. I’m planning the route (and alternates for “issues”) and looking for places that are good overnights between Dalhart and OSH. What are your recommendations?

Touch down at OSH is Sunday (avoiding mass arrivals).
FYI: there is one mass arrival on Sunday: Cirrus (what is the plural of Cirrus....Cirrususes..... :LOL: ) will be at 10 am with 30-40 aircraft. The B-52 is also arriving on Sunday, time not known at this time. That might screw up the Papa taxiway at Papa 2 intersection, even though they said "it shouldn't be a problem"....🤣🤣. If you land on 9-27, that might not be an issue.....:)

Congratulations on this being your FIRST OSH!! You might just get addicted...........fair warning...........;)

Beatrice NE is one of my standard overnights. Great FBO, two courtesy cars, good selection of hotels and restaurant. Everything is close to the airport. They do lock the gates at night so an early departure must be prearranged.
Liberal KS has a nice aircraft museum but not much else to recommend.
Airport courtesy cars are pretty common in NE and IA.

You might consider DUX instead of DHT for a fuel stop. Compare prices. I’m leaving from my home drome, AZ82 on Thursday, and spending the first night in GBD (available hangar space). Friday GBD to RDK and then C35, doing Fisk early Saturday morning.

Beatrice NE is one of my standard overnights. Great FBO, two courtesy cars, good selection of hotels and restaurant. Everything is close to the airport. They do lock the gates at night so an early departure must be prearranged.
Liberal KS has a nice aircraft museum but not much else to recommend.
Airport courtesy cars are pretty common in NE and IA.
Mine as well when I used to make the trip from Phoenix.
A good routing plan if you are interested in avoiding less hospitable terrain is to fly Phoenix to Las Vegas, New Mexico, and then Beatrice is just about a straight line course to Oshkosh.
Las Vegas New Mexico turns you around the corner of the southern end of the Rockies.

Last edited:
We usually aim for Ankeny, IA. Just north of Des Moines. Lots of motels within walking distance of the airport, and near restaurants. From there to Oshkosh is a less than 2 hour flight.

Nice thing about Las Vegas NM is that is a short climb to cruise altitude and mostly downhill from there going toward OSH. I have had problems twice with the self serve fuel at Las Vegas. The city guy helped me both times but I was double billed for the fuel. Dropped off my account a few days later.
Ankeny is not as friendly to small airplanes as it used to be. Too many jets among other things.

Probably doesn’t fit location wise for your overnight, BUT Smith Center, KS (K82) has a very nice pilot lounge building, courtesy car and several restaurants and older motels in town.

You might consider DUX instead of DHT for a fuel stop. Compare prices. I’m leaving from my home drome, AZ82 on Thursday, and spending the first night in GBD (available hangar space). Friday GBD to RDK and then C35, doing Fisk early Saturday morning.
For fuel H81 in Amarillo is even cheaper. 100LL Today; DHT $5.79 DUX $5.19 H81 $4.79

This will be my first time flying to Airventure. Wheels up Friday morning from Goodyear, AZ headed to Dalhart for fuel. Touch down at OSH is Sunday (avoiding mass arrivals). Plan is to fly early morning through early afternoon and RON at fun/interesting places. I’m planning the route (and alternates for “issues”) and looking for places that are good overnights between Dalhart and OSH. What are your recommendations?
Wayne, NE (KLCG) is nearly a must-stop on our way to or from OSH. It's a little Nebraska town that time has forgotten. The fuel prices are usually competitive ($5.10 at last check, which is cheaper than ANY airports around it). They will have FREE sandwiches and snacks for those of us headed to OSH. Tom Becker is the manager and can't do enough to keep you happy! Town is close but there is a courtesy car that will take you into town so you can stop by Udder Delight for some ice cream, lunch and their famous (I shouldn't tell you this.....) peach cobbler!!! There is a Super 8 hotel in town and the K-D Inn. We usually camp on the airport grounds when we are there.

Attachments

• IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0425.JPG
    IMG_0425.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4554.JPG
    IMG_4554.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_E4563.JPG
    IMG_E4563.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
We made an unexpected diversion (bio break) to Centerville Iowa (TVK) in 2022. Turned out to be a great stop. Very friendly airport manager, couple of cars available and decent price on gas if I recall correctly. Airport manager recommended a local mexican restaurant for lunch. Being from Texas, I wasn't too interested in Iowa's brand of mexican food, but my 7 yo son insisted. It was surprisingly good. I would actually go out of my way to go back there. La Fiesta was the name.

Good luck on your trip and welcome to Oshkosh. We'll be there!

Dalhart? I've done that. Helpful FBO, good fuel price when I was there a few years ago.
HOWEVER...
Nearly everyplace to stay in town in close to the railways. The trains come through hourly all night long, and blow their horn at every level crossing (must be 6 of them). I didn't get a very good night's sleep.
I had intended to go further, but numerous pop up thunderstorms made me quit early.

Dalhart? I've done that. Helpful FBO, good fuel price when I was there a few years ago.
HOWEVER...
Nearly everyplace to stay in town in close to the railways. The trains come through hourly all night long, and blow their horn at every level crossing (must be 6 of them). I didn't get a very good night's sleep.
I had intended to go further, but numerous pop up thunderstorms made me quit early.
DHT is our first planned fuel stop. No Overnight there. I'm looking between DHT and OSH.

Mine as well when I used to make the trip from Phoenix.
A good routing plan if you are interested in avoiding less hospitable terrain is to fly Phoenix to Las Vegas, New Mexico, and then Beatrice is just about a straight line course to Oshkosh.
Las Vegas New Mexico turns you around the corner of the southern end of the Rockies.
We'll be staying south of the big rocks. Planning GYR-ABQ-DHT for the first leg.

We'll be staying south of the big rocks. Planning GYR-ABQ-DHT for the first leg.
There are dozens of choices between DHT and OSH . I sometimes just pick out a mid sized town where the airport is close to town. Example is Pella IA with hotel at the end of the runway. Despite the location the hotel is a long walk.
DHT airport restaurant is new but last year was understaffed and took a while. Also DHT has two fuel choices so check the prices.

There are dozens of choices between DHT and OSH . I sometimes just pick out a mid sized town where the airport is close to town. Example is Pella IA with hotel at the end of the runway.
This was the reason for my request. Outside of AZ I know nothing of interesting/fun stops on the way to OSH.

Carlos-
The area between ABQ and DHT is very remote. I prefer to go a bit south of ABQ and Then Direct TCC direct DHT. That keeps you reasonably close to the main roads.

I flew from KPRC to KOSH last year. It was my first real XC trip and I was in no rush to get there. I picked airports where I could hangar the plane over night:

KPRC to to KOSH

Day 1:
  1. KPRC to KAEG (fuel stop)
  2. KAEG to KLBL (overnight stay) - FBO was fantastic with cheap hangar and overnight courtesy car, plus hotel discount
Day 2: (delayed for weather before departure)
  1. KLBL to KAFK (fuel stop)
  2. KAFK to KCIN (overnight stay) - another great FBO w/cheap hangar and free overnight courtesy car
Day 3:
  1. KCIN to KDLL (fuel stop)
  2. KDLL to KOSH

KOSH to KPRC

Day 1:
  1. KOSH to KPEA (fuel stop)
  2. KPEA to KHUT (fuel stop)
  3. KHUT to KLBL (overnight stay)
Day 2:
  1. KLBL to KAEG (fuel stop)
  2. KAEG to KPRC

I'd probably go this route again, perhaps going a little further beyond KLBL on Day 1 to KOSH if weather is good.

Be VERY careful with the arrival route. I got behind two aircraft who were wandering all over the place. I finally just gave up and passed them. Changed to tower, the airplane in front of me was cleared to land on 36R, I was cleared 36L. Other airplane lined up on Left and wouldn't answer tower. Me: I'll take the right. Tower: cleared to land 36R. Early Sun morning, traffic light.
For first timers be prepared for significant crosswinds on 36. Practice crosswind landings and slow flight at home.